Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wheel/tire combo fit question 17x9

Old 04-20-2013, 03:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel/tire combo fit question 17x9

No lift, 285-70/R17s on 17x9 wheel with 0 offset (5" backspacing). I'd like go with that combo to avoid having the tires stick out from the flares, which is frowned upon in Mass.

Discount Tire said no problems regarding fit, I am hoping someone has the exact same combo and can confirm.

Don't plan to do much offroading so only concern is if it will work for street driving, my main concern is possible rubbing issues due to the backspacing.

Thanks

Last edited by Photon; 04-20-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Doing the math, you will be just a smidge out....would hope you are legal with that small amount
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
Doing the math, you will be just a smidge out....would hope you are legal with that small amount
Do you think I'd have any rubbing issues?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

i have 35" x 12.5 tires on 17 x 9 Back Spacing: 4.53 rim it sticks out a tad but only like 1" or 2" and it looks way better sticking out a little if you can get away with it i would recommend it

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	449243
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Photon
No lift, 285-70/R17s on 17x9 wheel with 0 offset (5" backspacing). I'd like go with that combo to avoid having the tires stick out from the flares, which is frowned upon in Mass.

Discount Tire said no problems regarding fit, I am hoping someone has the exact same combo and can confirm.

Don't plan to do much offroading so only concern is if it will work for street driving, my main concern is possible rubbing issues due to the backspacing.

Thanks
That back space with a 9" wheel will move the outside of your tire out approx 2" from what it would be with the stock 7.5" wide wheel. That will put it about a inch outside of the lip of the fender.
The stock wheel is 7.5" wide with a 6.5" bs. A lot of the after market 17s are either 8" or 8.5" wide with back spaces of 4.5 to 4.75 respectivly. The reason your choice has slightly more bs is due to the extra width. Your tire is going to sit in the same place as it would on a 8.5 wide with the 4.75 bs.
I had that combo on a 2011 Sport (Method Race Wheel 17x8.5 with a 4.75 bs and 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers) and the tread of the tire was enough outside of the fender to be noticable and would throw water, rocks or anything else it went through up outside of the fender.
As far as rubbing goes, I have a new 2013 2-door Rubicon and I'm running 285/70-17 Nittos on the stock wheels without a lift and have no rubbing at all. The tightest measurement is .75" from the tire to the swaybar on a full lock right turn. Everywhere else has well over 1 inch of clearance for frame and suspension and plenty of space up inside the fender wells for that size tire.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Photon

Thanks
Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't a 17x9 0 offset be 4.5 offset. 0 implies centered

Quick Reply: wheel/tire combo fit question 17x9