Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel Spacers & Towing

Old 09-12-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers & Towing

I tow a camper that is at the max of the Unlimited's towing capabilities, any thoughts on if this would be bad with 1.25" wheel spacers?
Old 09-12-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Read this (author: WOL from Project-JK)

-------------------------------------------------
Are wheel spacers safe to use?
Are wheel spacers dangerous to use or cause unusual stress to your axle? High quality wheel spacers like the kind that Spidertrax makes (bolts up to your axle) are no more dangerous or cause any more stress to your axles then would a wheel with less backspacing. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise doesn’t know what they’re talking about and I have yet to hear a single good or specific explanation as to exactly how they are worse. Just to be clear, the thin cheap spacers (the kind that you can get at Pep Boys and are sandwiched between your wheel and axle using the existing wheel studs) are in fact EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and should not be used.

WOL

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Yoda; 09-12-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I dont know about the spacer thing as I am in your exact same space, except I am at max tow for a 2 door.

I really am not sure due to I do not know how it will effect the scrub radius on the front. I am more concerned with handeling and safety due to the towing, if I did not tow then spacers would be easy.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

The max towing capacity of any JK is 3500 lbs. If your 10% tongue weight is 350 lbs... it is really not huge in comparison to the overall weight already sitting on your rig. That's roughly 175 lbs extra sitting on each spring. It's not like your driving a 1 ton truck hauling a ton of crushed rock over your rear axle, tires, and wheels. Just my thoughts...

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers & Towing