Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wheel & spacers torque figures, etc.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel & spacers torque figures, etc.

Hi, have a 2015 JK sport … bought a 1.5" wheel spacer and am wondering what the torque setting should be on installing them ? should i use locktite/blue ? actually, what should i be torqueing on the wheel itself as well ??

tnx,

jR
'15 JK wrangler unlimited
Old 10-16-2015, 12:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No instructions included on spacers? Between 85~125 lbs. Yes on LocTite. REMOVE ALL OEM lock washers on studs. These washers are not needed and will interfere with seating the spacers to the rotors. I went with 100 lbs when I used SpiderTrax spacers. I rechecked torque at 95 lbs so I wouldn't break LocTite.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:45 AM
JK Newbie

I have Spidertrax and the instructions said to torque to 90 lbs. and to check the torque at each oil change at 80 lbs so as not to break the loc tight. I'm pretty sure you can get the installation instructions on line.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

I used the Permetex Red that came with my Spidertrax. Has worked well so far.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

You want red loctite in there rather than blue. you should have instructions from the manufacturer on the amount of torque needed to bolt them down, if you don't, call and ask them, wheel spacers is serious business, don't guess what the values are.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Spidertrax recommends red locktite and includes it with their spacers. there are some brands that recommend blue locktite. I use Spidertrax when I run my stock rims with 34x10.5-17 tires but I pull them off when I run my toyo 35s on 17x9 rims with 4.5" backspacing. I got tired of dealing with the red locktite residual stuff left on the studs so started using blue locktite instead. I have not had an issue and they have passed the 80 ft/lb test each time but I swap back and forth often. If I were just leaving the spacers on long term for sure I would go red locktite.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same reason i'm not doing wheel spacers anymore, got tired of dealing with the loctite, rechecking them every 5k miles, reminding tire shops during tire rotation times i had wheel spacers, so no impact guns to dismount/mount the tires, some of then even refused any work because of the spacers, i used noting but Spidertrax spacers before, never had any issues other than their needed maintenance, so much easier to simply use wheels with the right backspace, more expensive yes, but i don't think i'll be going back to wheel spacers anytime soon.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default spacers

wow....tnx for all the inputs... . I have a stock jk and until I can get proper wheel and lift kit ,I just wanted to have the oem wheels fit the well better and look nicer for now....

I didn't know there was stuff to remove on the oem rim... I thought I just remove the wheel and put the spacer on using nuts it came with and then put on the wheel.... ?

also, what do you mean,..."break the locktite "??

I will try this afternoon....

jR

Last edited by jjrho; 10-16-2015 at 10:58 AM. Reason: another question
Old 10-16-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They're not on the rims. They are on the studs after the rim is removed. They look like little toothed washers that hold the rotor in place. IIRC, there are 2 or 3 per wheel.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jjrho
wow....tnx for all the inputs... . I have a stock jk and until I can get proper wheel and lift kit ,I just wanted to have the oem wheels fit the well better and look nicer for now....

I didn't know there was stuff to remove on the oem rim... I thought I just remove the wheel and put the spacer on using nuts it came with and then put on the wheel.... ?

also, what do you mean,..."break the locktite "??

I will try this afternoon....

jR
Do you have the Spidertrax spacers ? if so, the instructions will tell you to torque the nuts down to 97ft/lbs, then check them after 50 miles or so using 87ft/lbs instead. This way you're not breaking the loctite seal that is supposed to prevent the nut from getting loose. you should apply the loctite to the wheel studs before torquing down the nuts, this is done once, or if you take the spacers off the wheel , before putting them back on.

Get a habit of checking them every 5k miles same way. if you're having the wheels rotated, make sure sure to tell your shop to be careful with the impact gun as there are wheel spacers in there, getting the wheels off and back should be done the old fashion way, no impact guns. also before putting them in, make sure to clean the hub surface where they're going to be mated, and apply a very light bed of antiseize to the back of the spacers surface that would be pressed against the hub, this way they'll come off like butter if you happen to leave them on for a big while, you won't believe how this things can get literally fuzed in the hub sometimes

Quick Reply: wheel & spacers torque figures, etc.