Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel spacers strength and needed width

Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running alloy 1.5 inch spacers for about a year now without any issues, I wheel it pretty hard and haven't had any failures or signs of premature wear so far!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3570300223.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	495305  
Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only seen two failures with spacers and its not that the spacer itself was the problem. BOTH were improper installation. One guy had put the nuts on the spacer with the taper on the outside and the other put the locktight on both the spacer nuts and wheel lug nuts. You can imagine how that went for him when attempting to change the tire on the side of the road.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smitty12JKU
I have only seen two failures with spacers and its not that the spacer itself was the problem. BOTH were improper installation. One guy had put the nuts on the spacer with the taper on the outside and the other put the locktight on both the spacer nuts and wheel lug nuts. You can imagine how that went for him when attempting to change the tire on the side of the road.
some peoples kids
Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with the 1.5 Spidertrax. You will be fine.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default SpiderTrax Spacers

I had the 1.5" SpiderTrax Spacers on my Jeep and loved them. The ride is so much improved with the wider stance.

I just took my off yest and am selling them since I bought new rims and they have the offset built in. If you install them correctly you you won't have any problems.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wassup8687
I had the 1.5" SpiderTrax Spacers on my Jeep and loved them. The ride is so much improved with the wider stance.

I just took my off yest and am selling them since I bought new rims and they have the offset built in. If you install them correctly you you won't have any problems.
I believe I was talking to your friend yesterday on a similar subject, told me you took yours off and might be selling.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-06-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks guys I knew there was no difference. I get a kick out of shops who tell you this who are only trying to sell you an upgrade. Leverage is leverage. Doesn't matter if its in two pieces or one piece.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKJon
It wouldn't

EDIT: The amount of "Play" or movement between the parts has to be incredibly little. Is it enough to actually effect ball Joint or bearing wear when comparing setups with the exact same backspacing? Highly doubt it.
I totally agree with JKJon. We see so many opinions on how these spacers will wear parts out early. I have yet to see a test in which two exactly equipped JK's, one running the spacers and one not, with the exact same driving habits used was done. This would be the only test that would 'prove' this claim. We all have our 'beliefs' on why or why not these spacers are, or are not good. If you understand simple physics, it would make sense to say that backspacing or adding spacers would be the same effect. Until I see a controlled test of spacers effect on bearings or ball joints, I'll believe that they are 'not' a problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sam30540
thanks guys I knew there was no difference. I get a kick out of shops who tell you this who are only trying to sell you an upgrade. Leverage is leverage. Doesn't matter if its in two pieces or one piece.
Well i mean it would matter, but the key is, when properly installed, it acts as one piece.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
Well i mean it would matter, but the key is, when properly installed, it acts as one piece.
Are we talking about installing them wrong? Its not rocket science. Anybody with just a little sense can put on wheel spacers.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers strength and needed width