Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel spacers... should I expect vibration?

Old 05-20-2008, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go 1.5 and do all 4 . Helps the ride alot
Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with SpiderTrax 1.5s and install them correctly--you shouldn't even know they're there. I ran a set for almost 15k miles and never had any issues. Be very cautious about bargains on wheel spacers. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Excellent Mod

I installed 1.5 spacers 8000 miles ago, absolutely NO issues. Regardless of brand of spacer purchased make sure they are 6061 billet alloy, hubcentric machined, all grade 8 hardware. Anodized finish is nice but not required, the aluminum wheels are not anodized either. I locktited mine also, have not had to retighten. All 4 are not required, but the jeep feels ''glued to the road'' with the wide stance- you would not regret installing all 4....
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Front end alignment after installing spacers???

Can anyone tell me if the front end needs to be realigned after installing the 1 1/2" spacers?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spartacus_33
Can anyone tell me if the front end needs to be realigned after installing the 1 1/2" spacers?
no - you do not need an alignment.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Still have 2 questions:
1. Any brand of spacer recommeded over another?
2. If I space the front wheels out, should I also space the rears wheels out?
1 - Spidertrax 1.5" spacers
2 - Yes, space all 4. You won't have any issues as long as you install as per the direction.

...no, you don't need an alignment after installing spacers.

Also, you MIGHT notice some type of very slight vibration. If you do, it will be at speeds below 10mph. This is due to the tires themselves. If you install big lug or off road tires, sometimes the lugs on the tire tread will cause it to feel as though there might be a vibration. This is simply the tire tread moving across the pavement. It is nothing to be concerned about. I only tell you this, because this has been my experience with my last 2 Wranglers, and I don't want you to notice it on yours and worry. It is only noticable at start and stop speeds, if at all.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
Also, you MIGHT notice some type of very slight vibration. If you do, it will be at speeds below 10mph. This is due to the tires themselves.
I actually have noticed this already (at very low speeds due the lugs on my new TOYOs). Highway speeds... no vibration at all. Gas mileage went down 2 mpg
Old 06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well... I just received my Spidertrax wheel spacers. I called the place where I bought my tires and they tell me that they can't touch them for liability reasons.

Further... they said they aren't allowed to touch a vehicle that has them installed. They offer free tire rotation.... guess that won't be happening now.

Anyone have this same kind of trouble, or did you just put them on yourselves.

I do see on the Spidertrax box that is says, "(For Off-Road Use Only)".
Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Well... I just received my Spidertrax wheel spacers. I called the place where I bought my tires and they tell me that they can't touch them for liability reasons.

Further... they said they aren't allowed to touch a vehicle that has them installed. They offer free tire rotation.... guess that won't be happening now.

Anyone have this same kind of trouble, or did you just put them on yourselves.

I do see on the Spidertrax box that is says, "(For Off-Road Use Only)".
A lot of places will tell you that. Thanks to people that are sue happy, companies don't want to mess with something that has the "potential" to have a problem down the raod, and get held liable.

With that said, do some checking around in your area. There will be a reputable 4x4 shop somewhere near you. I know there are at least 4 within 20min or less of where I live. You'll just have to ask around. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well... I found a place that would install them.. (actually the very next place I called).... but they want $90/hour to do it.

Got me to thinking...... why not just do it myself. Looking for a torque wrench now.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers... should I expect vibration?