Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel Spacers Required For OME lift

Old 11-12-2009, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers Required For OME lift

I have a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited and plan on installing the OME lift. After reading this forum for days, I have found posts that cover installing the suspension but none of them state if wheel spacers are required for the original wheels and tires. I am not a big fan of wheel spacers and would rather not use them. Does anybody know if they are required for the stock rubicon wheels and tires with the OME kit? Is there any other kit around the 3 inch range that will fit the original wheels and tires? Thanks...
Old 11-12-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

I don't believe that you would need wheel spacers unless you increase the width of your tires. I had 35s with my OME and didn't need spacers.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Robar
I don't believe that you would need wheel spacers unless you increase the width of your tires. I had 35s with my OME and didn't need spacers.
Thanks for the quick reply...
Old 11-12-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2032Ceta
I have a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited and plan on installing the OME lift. After reading this forum for days, I have found posts that cover installing the suspension but none of them state if wheel spacers are required for the original wheels and tires. I am not a big fan of wheel spacers and would rather not use them. Does anybody know if they are required for the stock rubicon wheels and tires with the OME kit? Is there any other kit around the 3 inch range that will fit the original wheels and tires? Thanks...
The lift doesn't reduce your tire clearance. It increases it...If your stock wheels and tires clear now. I can't see how they would rub with a lift.

If you decide to run wider tires than stock on the stock 7.5 inch wide rims with over 6 inches of back spacing there's a good chance you'll rub..

The back spacers that are being used/made now are nothing like the crap made in the past. Most are made of 6061 and use grade 8 bolts..Your not going to break one.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As the others have said, it is mostly the width of the new tires that cause the rubbing and the need for wheel spacers or new rims.

New rear links installed incorrectly can also cause rubbing. Turning the bolts around or moving the links inside should take care of it.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

You should not need wheel spacers with an OME lift.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running the OME lift with stock Rubi wheels and tires right now. I have the JKS trackbars, the Northridge sway bar links, and wheel spacers.

Based on what I see under my rig, you MAY encounter some rubbing of the inside of your rear tires on the end of the rear sway bar links - especially if you don't re-center your rear axle (as in you didn't get the adjustable sway bars or a bracket)

I'm also with the folks saying that quality modern spacers are not a problem. I'm so careful about what I bolt onto my Jeep that it borders on paranoia. Warn specifies Grade 5 hardware for mounting a winch...I bought grade 8. I still don't have an issue with good quality spacers. The only adverse side effects are slightly increased strain on your axles and the fact that your stock fenders no longer fully cover your tires.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers Required For OME lift