Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel Spacers And Locktite........

Old 06-23-2009, 02:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers And Locktite........

Since I have wheel spacers now, I thought I would give yall my opinion on the wheel spacer/Locktite subject. I got the Teraflex wheel spacers, which are steel, not aluminum. NOWHERE in the Teraflex instructions does it say to use Locktite....NOWHERE. I'm not certain that it's needed......let me expound. When we tighten acorn style lug nuts, what holds them tight? Stress on the threads? Nope. The friction between the male bevel on the nut and the female bevel on the spacer or wheel. It's this force that keeps the lug nut from backing off. So, when we apply Locktite to the threads, we're actually applying to the wrong area. The threads don't keep the lug nuts tight. I've never put Locktite on standard wheel studs, and they stay on just fine. The Teraflex instructions DO say to re-torque, but NO mention of Locktite is made. I don't know about the aluminum spacers, but I think using Locktite on the steel spacers is incorrect.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the torque on those steel spacers?i have spidertrax and the torque is low,so i am guessing that locktite helps...
Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

My put on that, Redneck:

Friction from torque is what normally holds fasteners together. Many folks think that Loctite is for holding fasteners together, and use it on just about everything. There are special situations in which sufficient torque/friction cannot be applied to properly hold the fasteners: That's what Loctite is for. There's no need for Loctite unless the engineer who designed the item says it's required. An exception might be if you're pressing an item into service past the original design point: Say, taking a JK to the Baja 1000. Severe vibration can cause properly torqued fasteners to loosen. Personally, I prefer another solution, however: Safety wire. It provides a visual clue that everything is sound in those severe environments.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

The spidertrax spacers only recommend 80 ft/lb IIRC, so maybe the loctite is more necessary with them.

I used it on mine since it was included anyways. Up to 3,500 miles and no issues yet. I retorqued at 100 miles, and have not touched them yet. I am doing a tire rotation this weekend so I will let you know how they are looking.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

will it hurt to use locktite on the teraflex spacers? if not, why not apply for peace of mind??
Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
will it hurt to use locktite on the teraflex spacers? if not, why not apply for peace of mind??
This is more or less my same outlook on this subject. If you have any doubts a little insurance will give you the assurance you need.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I torqued my spidertrax at 100, kinda split the difference, hope thats ok lol, i used red locktite too though. Good point on the lugs though . . .
Old 06-23-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default daub it on there....

I locktited mine- aluminum. Never retorqued them. Tightened them till they bled, then 1/2 a turn more.....JUST KIDDING. I think the loctite is a good idea, what's extremely tight to one guy is woosie to the next. Loctite will keep a woosie tighten job from flying off.I always use an air impact on my JK, the loctite hasn't caused any problems whatsoever....
Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

even a cheap wal-mart torque wrench can go a long ways. I would never trust "guessing" the correct tightness for things that are important.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers And Locktite........