Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel Spacers, Loc-Tite, and re-torquing

Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers, Loc-Tite, and re-torquing

Question...I am a little concerned about using wheel spacers (SpiderTrax) - i.e. liability etc., but would really like to avoid buyng new wheels.

Question....they come with red loc-tite to apply, and also say you should re-torque after drving.

Wouldn't re-torquing possibly break the lock provided by the loc-tite?

Grant
Old 08-25-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Set the torque wrench like 5 lbs lower then the spacers are tight. That way you know they havent moved but you dont break the loc tite.

And dont woory about spacers. I hauled 20 000lbs for years with a dually and a gooseneck trailer and I had spacers between my back wheels.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grant_T
Question...I am a little concerned about using wheel spacers (SpiderTrax) - i.e. liability etc., but would really like to avoid buyng new wheels.

Question....they come with red loc-tite to apply, and also say you should re-torque after drving.

Wouldn't re-torquing possibly break the lock provided by the loc-tite?

Grant
In-case you haven't seen this:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

Well if you torque the wheel spacers to specification, 95 ft. lbs. of torque, next time you go to re-torque using the same tool, assuming its on the correct ft lb setting, it shouldn't turn.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good idea....I may have to go purchase a new torque wrench....mine is the old "needle" type with the scale you have to eyeball, not the newer type with the finite "click" setting.

Grant
Old 08-25-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea u want a split beam click type torque wrench. i run spidertrax and was sketchy about getting them. i love them and not one single issue. like others said u check the spacer torque after a couple hundred miles and set the wrench slightly lower than what u originally torqued them to. i usually put mine at 85 cause there set to 95 and u dont want to break that seal.. they make your jeep look like it should! and torque the wheels as well. dont use an inpact.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers, Loc-Tite, and re-torquing