Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel spacers, any long term feedack?

Old 04-14-2007, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers, any long term feedack?

First off, sorry if this topic is a thread already. I have searched and searched, but I came up with nothing asking this question about longevity. My boss (aka Wife) found out today I was looking at buying wheels soon when a 4x4 shop returned my call and I was outside which left her taking a message . I was going to tell her,,,,, after they were mounted It got shot down faster then you can blink. She likes the OEM 17's on it now to top it off. I would love some feedback on members running spacers that have some miles on them now. How are they holding up and so on. I do 90% of my driving year round on the highway, and do take long trips, the other 10% is playing off-road. I am going to mount a 285/70/17 tire with my lift, but need to kick the wheels out a bit. I am looking at buying the Spidertrax WHS-010 (1.5") spacers.

Any issues with spacers failing (breaking, torqued lug nuts but not holding there tq settings, etc). I am aware I will have to check them from time to time for tq settings, but I am meaning premature signs.

Any balance issues?

Are you at all concerned with safety?

Any brand recommended over another?

My main reason for wanting all this feedback is for my 3 month old daughter and wife. I want to make sure she and my wife are 110% safe in my Jeep even though it is being slightly modded.

Thank you up front for any input you can provide, and please feel free to add to the Q&A list. It is quite possible I forgot some important questions to ask.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

IMO, Wheel spacers are a really bad idea. By increasing the offset/ back-spacing with a wheel spacer you are increasing the stress on the hub and the wheel. Running a wheel with the correct offset/ back-spacing increases the stress only on the hub ergo reducing the potential for failures. Do it right so you don't have to do it again applies here.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKJeff
IMO, Wheel spacers are a really bad idea. By increasing the offset/ back-spacing with a wheel spacer you are increasing the stress on the hub and the wheel. Running a wheel with the correct offset/ back-spacing increases the stress only on the hub ergo reducing the potential for failures. Do it right so you don't have to do it again applies here.
I know this is said quite often, but I do not see how this is possible. If properly designed and fitted, the spacer should act as one with the wheel. placing no more stress on hub/suspension components then a comparable wheel with offset equal to the wheel with the spacer unless wheel with the spacer has added weight to the comparable wheel without a spacer. The leverage stays the same if they weigh the same with the same offset, and every component is hub-centric if purchased correctly. I could be completely off though.

Last edited by JKJoe; 04-14-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not running spacers but have been following those threads for a long time. The only reported failure on this forum was from someone who bought some no-name spacers off of ebay.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

I have them. They are built incredably well ( spidertrax) and if properly installed would give you years of service. Heed this though. Don't over torque and follow all instructions. Use Loctite and keep an eye on things. Anytime a wheel has been off the car, PLEASE check torque of the lugs. Not by feel but with a real torque wrench. Get them all to the same torque. I use 100 foot pounds.

As for the spacer torque. I have mixed feelings on this since I used loctite. If I re-torque them and they move then I have made the loctite useless. I would probably take them off at that point and re do it. I will probably re check mine with just under my original torque say 95 foot pounds ( still with in specs) and expect them not to move. If they do then I will start over. Just don't ignore them and maintain them like you should everything else and you will be fine. If you are worried about the bearings and hubs then just leave the think stock and go home. The wheel bearing thing is moot as if you mod anything, it puts more stress on those suspension parts and you will have accelerated wear. Just part of the pay to play syndrome.

I was very impressed with the spacers I got and thought the quality could not have been better. If I get new wheels, I will not use them as I can choose the offset I need and take one variable out of the equasion but with stock wheels, go for it and have fun. I think it made my stock rubi wheels and tires look MUCH better and I am going to stick with that look for a year or so until I get board with it. Then its up to 35s and a 3 inch lift.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:12 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JKJeff
Sorry, but exactly how is installing a set of high quality wheel spacers that bolt up to your axle and then your wheels to it any different than installing a set of new wheels with less back spacing? And, without running a wheel with less back spacing, how can you run a wider tire without having serious rubbing issues? Fact of the matter is, running anything less than the "correct offset/back spacing" will increase stress on your hub and bearings but in my opinion, not enough to really matter. That goes for wheels with less back spacing and wheels using spacers.

For the record, I had run spacers on my TJ for years and can say that I have had absolutely no problems what so ever. And, so long as you install them correctly, re-torque them after 100 miles and then periodically check up on them, you won't have any problems either. In spite of all the nay-saying I have heard about wheel spacers, I have yet to see or hear of a single instance where one that had been properly installed had caused any problems or abnormal damage to anything. Now, if I'm wrong about this, I would at least like to see proof of it.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

haha...anytime you put something further away from its orgin you creat more torque or stress. Putting the wheel further outward is going to put stress on your axels and ball joints...not thats is going to do anything, but it is pretty simple phsyics really
Old 04-14-2007, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bofer84
haha...anytime you put something further away from its orgin you creat more torque or stress. Putting the wheel further outward is going to put stress on your axels and ball joints...not thats is going to do anything, but it is pretty simple phsyics really
I completely agree, and when done correctly, the spacer setup should not create any more stress the a wheel with the same amount of offset that is not spaced, providing the weight is the same.

Thanks, and keep it up fella's, this is the exact feedback I am looking for.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran spacers on my TJ for almost 5 years and wheeled it in places like Johnson Valley, never had any trouble. I run them now on my JK and don't anticipate any trouble. I personally have never seen a problem with spacers. I know numerous people running them too.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel spacers can be ran and will work fine if thay are installed properly and are re torqued after the first 200 miles
A 1.5 or 2 inch spacer with a stock rim puts the same load on the steering knuckle and wheel bearing as a aftermarket 4 inch back space rim.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers, any long term feedack?