Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wheel spacers?

Old 06-15-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel spacers?

If I run a set of spacers on my front wheels, want this put more stress on the axles and u-joints?
I was thinking about Spidertrax 1" spacers. When I get full flex my tires are rubing on the frame and swaybar(of course my swaybar is disconnected and pulled up and tied off.) I have just installed a Aussie locker and now my next worry is the axle.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jptex
If I run a set of spacers on my front wheels, want this put more stress on the axles and u-joints?
I was thinking about Spidertrax 1" spacers. When I get full flex my tires are rubing on the frame and swaybar(of course my swaybar is disconnected and pulled up and tied off.) I have just installed a Aussie locker and now my next worry is the axle.
I am wondering this as well! I dont want to add extra stress to the axle. Would spacers be the same as a heavier wheel?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am afraid by pushing the wheels out further it would add more leverage to the u-joint area and if I get into a bind it will be easier to snap. Hence I also need some chromoly axles.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

I ran the Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers for about 6 months with my stock rims until I bought new wheels. With the 17" stock wheels, if you run 35x12.5" tires, you need to run the 1.5" spacer. 1" will not be enough. No, it won't affect your axles or joints like that. It is no different then putting on wheels with less backspacing. They stick out just like a spacer does. The only complaint that goes along with spacers is the possibility of the spacer coming off, and your wheel coming off. I have never known this to happen to anyone though. If you follow the directions for installation, then you will be fine. I know several people who run them on their Jeeps (YJ, TJ and JK) as both daily drivers and hard core wheeling, and have had no ill effects. You'll be fine.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It puts more leverage on the hub/bearings, but no more than a wheel with less backspacing. 1.5" Spidertrax is what most people run. They really don't cause any problems. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Anytime you move the tire/wheel combo out, you are increasing your leverage. So, yes you are increasing the wear on items that will affect things like bearings, axles, ball joints, etc.

If properly torqued, your spacers have the same chance of falling of as a wheel. How often does that happen? Not very often, so don't let myth's fool ya.

We have 2 sets steel spacers from Tera Flex. They are solid. When bolted on, they feel just like an extension of the axle. In fact, on one of our latest trail runs, I managed to damage 2 rims, almost cracking one, and not a peep out of the spacers. If installed correctly and if they are hub centric, your rims will break before the spacers.

As for which is better, well, the guys with spacers will tell you spacers and the guys with wider rims will tell you rims.

Personally, I tend to favour spacers. When you use a wider offset rim, you are moving the outer edge of the rim farther awayfrom the axle. Basically, you have more leverage. The unfortunate problem is that the outside lip of the rim is the weakest part of the rim as it is located the farthest from the mouting point and has the greatest leverage. With spacers, both sides of the rim are exactly the same as before, except all you have done is move the rim to the outside. So, yes you are increasing leverage but not on the account of putting the rim in it's most vulnearable position. In effect, with a spacer the vertical forces on the rim will be more directly up the rim rather than the side. Hence, the rim will be in a much better position to aborb the impact and minimize damage to it.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big D2
...When you use a wider offset rim, you are moving the outer edge of the rim farther awayfrom the axle. Basically, you have more leverage. The unfortunate problem is that the outside lip of the rim is the weakest part of the rim as it is located the farthest from the mouting point and has the greatest leverage. With spacers, both sides of the rim are exactly the same as before, except all you have done is move the rim to the outside. So, yes you are increasing leverage but not on the account of putting the rim in it's most vulnearable position. In effect, with a spacer the vertical forces on the rim will be more directly up the rim rather than the side. Hence, the rim will be in a much better position to aborb the impact and minimize damage to it.
I'll buy that. The downside though, is that you can really scratch up the face of stock-backspacing wheels (I know mine are). A wheel with more offset will be deeper and doesn't scratch the face as easily.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade
It puts more leverage on the hub/bearings, but no more than a wheel with less backspacing.
exactly what he said
Old 06-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade
I'll buy that. The downside though, is that you can really scratch up the face of stock-backspacing wheels [snip]
and THAT would be my evil master plan to get new ones

once the better half starts noticing them getting thrashed, she will slip and say i need new ones.

KACHING!
Old 06-16-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
I ran the Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers for about 6 months with my stock rims until I bought new wheels. With the 17" stock wheels, if you run 35x12.5" tires, you need to run the 1.5" spacer. 1" will not be enough. .
I am running 15" rims with 4" backspacing, I am rubbing on the sway bar when the wheels are fully locked to one side and stuffed up in the fender besides that I have no issues. So I figured 1" to 1.5" should be more than enough.

Quick Reply: wheel spacers?