Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel spacers?

Old 02-10-2021, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel spacers?

I just bought 1.25" spacers / adapters for my 2017 Rubicon 2 door.
While trying to install them I realized that wheel studs are too long and poke out not allowing the wheels to be installed.
Questions
1. Is cutting off the studs the way to go? Or just buy 1.5" spacers?
2. Will running spacers make my jeep handle worse? Turning radius get worse? More strain on the steering components?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2021, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Teraflex sold shorter wheel spacers like this and their recommendation was to clip the ends of the studs. If there's no good reason you can't move to 1.5" spacers then go that route.

As far as extra stress and strain- yes, there will be extra strain and stress. You will have an increased turning radius, though I can't say I notice it or that it bothers me.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I definitely wouldn’t go through the hassle of trimming 20 studs for the sake of wheel spacers when you can just swap to a 1.5” spacer. The additional stress of a 1.5 vs 1.25 spacer will be negligible. I’m running 1.5” spacers with 35’s and play hard in the rocks and haven’t had issues yet.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Teraflex has been selling those 1.25" spacers for the JK since, I don't know, near model release back in 07? I don't know whether the caution about (possibly) needing to trim the studs has been in the install guide since the spacers were first put on the shelves, but it has definitely been in there the few times I checked after reading similar posts over the years. I've never seen anyone mention a single issue from trimming. But as mentioned above, it will certainly be more work than just swapping to 1.5" spacers.

Figure it will be the same added stress as if you had bought new rims with the same effective backspace as you will have with your current rims + spacers. The difference will be maintenance related, assuming you don't plan on just forgetting that you have spacers installed with all those extra bolts.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up going with 1.5" spacers.
Observation after installing them, my 2 door seems to drive better. Not as squirrely and tracks better especially at 70mph.

Have others felt the same driving improvement?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2021, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

Remember after a 100 or so miles pull the wheels and re-torque the spacers.. Naturally you should check the wheel lugs after a 100 or so miles any time you R & R. Be Safe.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ari Freeman
I ended up going with 1.5" spacers.
Observation after installing them, my 2 door seems to drive better. Not as squirrely and tracks better especially at 70mph.

Have others felt the same driving improvement?

Thanks
2011 jk 2 door, went with 1.5" spacers, looks better and drives better.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend checking your bearings as well. It may wear down bearings faster than normal but those are not bad to replace. I had to go this route with 37's on a 08' JKU w/4" lift even, for turning radius sake. I will admit tho, I still feel like a rook so any more info on spacers is welcome!
Old 03-11-2021, 03:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JP-JKU
I will admit tho, I still feel like a rook so any more info on spacers is welcome!
Try post #6 in this one, it has links to a few other threads that may be of interest.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...s-safe-317080/
The following users liked this post:
JP-JKU (03-11-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2x1.5=3 and 2x1.25 equals 2.5. that is a non trivial 20% difference and of some concern for bearings and shafts. In some cases for certain minor tire upsizing a 1" adapter spacer is all that is needed and 3" is 50%more than 2".

Also the less you do the less you increase the loss of tight turning. Those things will be of no importance to some, and a fair amount of importance ot others. I have to negotiate tight (9'/8.5' with 90 degree turns) city alleys almost daily.

Certainly 1.5 is easier and fine for most people. People should be mindful that they will need to spend an hour with an angle grinder and a file (and that return to stock will require more work). But for some people it makes sense to go with the least amount you need and choose 1.25 "or even 1" . To each his own.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers?