Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel Spacers with 285/70/17

Old 12-20-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers with 285/70/17

I have Fierce Attitude 285/70/17 on stock wheels, 2.5 TF with 1.5 wheel spacers. I was wondering is anyone is running same setup without wheel spacers and if they rub? My spacers are starting to show age and I don't want to push my luck with them but before I pull them off it would be nice to know if anyone is running without them.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:04 PM
JK Junkie

You're in the ideal spot to just measure back 1.5" and see if it touches the rear sway bar links or if it will destroy your turning radius.

What do you mean they're starting to "show their age"? Are there stress cracks forming or something??

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2013, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls
You're in the ideal spot to just measure back 1.5" and see if it touches the rear sway bar links or if it will destroy your turning radius.

What do you mean they're starting to "show their age"? Are there stress cracks forming or something??

It's real close when I measure and that is not taking into account of tire flex, I can pull them off and try but I was being lazy, I am still at work waiting on someone else and my mind started wandering about what I wanted to do to my Jeep this weekend. As far as "showing wear", the coating is pealing and a little corrosion is showing... nothing structure wise but I am not a big fan of the spacers to begin with but don't have the money to get the wheels and tires I want right now.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

I've got a friend with the same wheels, 2.5" air lift, but firestone tires (potentially a little narrower) and he didn't have rub in the rear but up front it was pretty terrible on 'normal' turns. It was 3 point turns in the parking lot all over the place. He added spacers and hasn't complained about it yet.

So it's possible, but like you said- tight. Some tires that run wider will rub in the back, narrower may avoid it....just barely. I think you're pretty much stuck with the front going to rub when you start towards full lock.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a 2" coil spacer and running my stock rims with 295/70/17 and would barely rub at full lock. I did just add me some 1.5 wheel spacers just for looks. You will be fine without spacers
Old 12-20-2013, 07:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Axels move left and right under load in turns and when flexed. You need clearance between the tires and sway bar links. The instructions from TF state the minimum backspace.

I ran Spidertrax spacers for a few years and over 60,000 miles with no problems. Never let an impact wrench touch mine.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 12-20-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers with 285/70/17