Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel spacers

Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel spacers

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
What wheels are you running and what backspacing are they ex the spacers?

Caster should be around 4.2 to 4.7 range. That will remove most flighty steering issues. So when you get your lower adj. control arms you should be all set.
Thanks, I have factory 17'' wheels, and wheel spacers of 1.5 inch.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Newfie
I am running a 2.5 RC lift and I am making several upgrades to shocks, springs, LCA'S and steering stabs.

Originally I installed 1.5'' wheel spacers and I am now thinking that these may be having an effect of my wandering steering as my tires are now traveling on the sides of the ruts in our roads.

Do I actually need these spacers? Who has installed them with their lifts?
Keep the spacers. My jeep wandered since I got it new. Last week I checked the toe in and found it was toe out 1/16" with less than a quarter of a turn on the tie rod adjuster I was at 1/16" inch toe in. now it is rock solid on the roads and I can cruise on the roads holding steering wheel with two fingers. before I had to have a constant correction to keep it my lane. check around there are posts and articles on checking toe in.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Junkie

I think what OP is saying is that with increased track width from spacers is that he is catching the ruts in the road where as he didnt at stock width. To the OP there is nothing your going to be able to do about that if it is the case. Cant take spacers off cause youll rub and changing to a 4.5 backspace rim will net you same thing now. Drive it, wheel it, and enjoy it. Send pics of new stuff when installed
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Freewill
X2 on checking the castor.

I installed a 2.5" lift and wheel spacers. At the same time, I did what was needed to correct the castor angle. No wondering at all. Running stock BFG KM Rubi tires.

What is your castor angle now?
Do you have the print out of your alignment, if so, can you post the angles that have worked for you?
My JK has never been on an alignment rack. I'm using geometry correction brackets and stock control arms (for now) so there is nothing to adjust but toe-in, which doesn't need an alignment rig. Pretty sure the brackets are designed to give a little more than 4 degrees of castor. It steers as good or better than stock, and there is no front driveshaft vibration.

If I ever think a "C" or axle housing has gotten bent I'll hafta put it on an alignment rack to find out what's bent. Otherwise the rack - or some other way to measure castor - will only be needed if I go to adjustable control arms.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Newfie, go put er on a rack. Get your caster numbers. I bet they are outta wack. I only have 2” lift in front and mine are down to 3.4 and 3.3. And mine is flighty. Think about it, a dodge ram has a wider track than your jeep with spacers, so I doubt its the spacers.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default wheel spacers

Originally Posted by Kojack
Newfie, go put er on a rack. Get your caster numbers. I bet they are outta wack. I only have 2” lift in front and mine are down to 3.4 and 3.3. And mine is flighty. Think about it, a dodge ram has a wider track than your jeep with spacers, so I doubt its the spacers.

Thanks Guys, just gotta wait about 4 more weeks for the springs to arrive, then install and alignment, I will post pics and performance results when complete.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:18 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks Guys, just gotta wait about 4 more weeks for the springs to arrive, then install and alignment, I will post pics and performance results when complete.
Yep. I ordered can bolts for mine. Everyone bitches at them but I'm installing, set the caster then welding and marking with a paint marker to keep an eye on them. I'm 100% positive they will be fine.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default wheel spacers

Originally Posted by Kojack
Yep. I ordered can bolts for mine. Everyone bitches at them but I'm installing, set the caster then welding and marking with a paint marker to keep an eye on them. I'm 100% positive they will be fine.
Buddy of mine installed the cam bolts and they worked for the alignment purposes! You should be ok.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:42 AM
JK Junkie

Buddy of mine installed the cam bolts and they worked for the alignment purposes! You should be ok.
Yeah, I know I will. I do wheel often in the summer, but not a lot of rock crawling. Most of the bad rap is from people who have not used them or used them improperly. As I said, once installed and aligned, I'm marking them with a paint pen then welding a couple of tacks on them to keep them in place.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Just noticed some aev lifts come with cam bolts too. I'm fine with my decision.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers