Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel spacers

Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at my tire web site. There is a drawing explaining all about tires and rims :-)
Click on "tires"!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
Sorry if there's a thread already but my search doesn't work!!! So if i get wheel spacers i read i have to re tightened them every 100 miles is that true? And why do i need wheel spacers when i go to 35's and stock 17" wheels? Thanks

-Edgar
I am going to go out on a limb here and disagree with the concept of re-torquing them...at least to the original setting. I don't think they should have worded it that way as it could create a problem.

I agree you need to CHECK them at 100miles, and whenever your rotate thereafter, but if you originally bolted them on at 100 ft-lbs AND used loctite, then if you re-torque them to 100ft-lbs, you may risk breaking the bond the loctite has created.

I think they should have warned you to CHECK them at a lower torque on the follow-ups. I set my torque-wrench to about 10 ft-lbs less than the original spec and if they are still at least THAT tight, I'm good. I know I have seen other post the same advice here.

Grant
Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Grant is correct. It is stated in the Spidertrax instructions about this as well. I originally torqued my wheel spacers @ 95ft lbs with Loc Tite, then recheck them at 85ft lbs. Also it's a good idea to use a three step torque (using a star pattern), first at 30, then 60, and finally at 90. This will help to correctly center your wheel spacers (even though they are hub centric).

Last edited by Tripletsi; 07-11-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant_T

I am going to go out on a limb here and disagree with the concept of re-torquing them...at least to the original setting. I don't think they should have worded it that way as it could create a problem.

I agree you need to CHECK them at 100miles, and whenever your rotate thereafter, but if you originally bolted them on at 100 ft-lbs AND used loctite, then if you re-torque them to 100ft-lbs, you may risk breaking the bond the loctite has created.

I think they should have warned you to CHECK them at a lower torque on the follow-ups. I set my torque-wrench to about 10 ft-lbs less than the original spec and if they are still at least THAT tight, I'm good. I know I have seen other post the same advice here.

Grant
Originally Posted by Tripletsi
Grant is correct. It is stated in the Spidertrax instructions about this as well. I originally torqued my wheel spacers @ 95ft lbs with Loc Tite, then recheck them at 85ft lbs. Also it's a good idea to use a three step torque (using a star pattern), first at 30, then 60, and finally at 90. This will help to correctly center your wheel spacers (even though they are hub centric).
Oh dam haha okay thanks alot guys sure help alot
Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I check mine at every rotate and balance. They haven't budged...
Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi

Nice where do you guys get loc tite?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
Nice where do you guys get loc tite?
auto parts store
Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep

auto parts store
Oh okay thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
This is absolutely correct and should be followed to the "T", just like you are supposed to do the same to your wheels, even without spacers.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers