Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel Spacer Comparison

Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between a 1.5in Spydertrax "adapter" at approx. $50/ea. and a 1.5in Hubcentric or Roughcountry "adapter" at approx. $25/ea. aside from being half the price?
Click the link I posted above, then scroll to the two indicated posts ...
Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

My experience with the spacer or adapter- whatever you may call it- is that with the unbranded ones (eBay/ Amazon special), the lug nuts are of inferior quality and they can/ will break after a period of time. I currently personally utilize 3 sets of spidertrax and 1 set of synergy spacers without any issues- all trucks are daily drivers of 40k/ year and no loctite was used. The only time a wheel came off was operator error. If you don't tighten the lug nuts then of course the wheel will come off.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

There's no doubt the Spydertrax are great. Currently, I'm planning my lift build. I'm looking to install my lift and use stock tires/wheels until I save up for wheels/tires. I've read that I will likely need spacers for my stock tires/wheels after installing the lift. However, my plan would be to later purchase wheels with the proper back spacing and larger tires. So the spacers would be a temporary solution for the stock tires/wheels. That's why I'm considering going with the less expensive RC's. Don't want to invest top dollar in a temporary solution that I won't use later. I supposed I could purchase the Spydertrax and then turn around and try to sell them.

Someone is selling a set of (4) 1.75" Spydertrax on Craigslist for $150. I would have snatched them if they were the 1.5". Kind of wondering if I'm making too big of a deal out of a 1/4" difference?

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-24-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MavisJk
What rims do you have? I assume not the stock rims with 35's? Im not sure why you would need wheel spacers? Wider look? Current tires rubbing somewhere? If you have 35's and plan to go to 37's I wouldn't recommend wheel spacers, instead just rims with more backspacing.
Definitely wanting the wider look. I have vtec rims but honestly don't know what my backspace is with those.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You want adapters, with two sets of bolts, not the thin spacers that sandwich between. Teraflex makes some 1.25", but they specifically state that you may need to trim the studs to get them to fit. So go for 1.5".

Posts 9 and 38 in this one have some metallurgical testing of spacers. Interesting info...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...safety-130315/

I'll have to look into these. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the 1.75" spacer. I think it looks better. Don't cheap out. If your spacer fails and you lose a wheel and end up in the hospital for a few months, it will cost well over the $200 you'd spend on good spacers.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by agentjohnson
I run the 1.75" spacer. I think it looks better. Don't cheap out. If your spacer fails and you lose a wheel and end up in the hospital for a few months, it will cost well over the $200 you'd spend on good spacers.
Thanks!!! I was just worried if there were any additional concerns if I went beyond 1.5", since most suggest the 1.5". I'll likely upgrade the stock lugs to Grade 8 for added security.

I'm going to see about the set on CL. Do these things have any Spydertrax branding on them? I'ld hate to "think" I'm buying Spydertrax and buy some cheap brand instead. They are Spyder blue.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-24-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel adapters/spacers are simply pieces of solid metal with studs. The potential for negative effects come from the act of installing. Don't think paying twice as much for a certain brand necessarily means it's better. That article about spydertrax being stronger than the wheel, etc is a bit misleading in that it is a bit irrelevant. I'd bet that pretty much any wheel spacer is going to be "stronger" than the wheel in such testing. It's a thicker, solid piece of metal.. I've run some 1.5" rough countries off someone on this forum for over a year and half now. No problems. Just check torque at every rotation.

Sent while gazing at my Jeep
Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

I use Motorsport-tech (bora) on my dually to change my bolt pattern. I spoke with them, and had them built specifically how I wanted them so I wouldn't gain much more offset. I've checked them several times since install, and no problems to date. They have a good reputation. I've never read anything negative about them when I was shopping around. Materials sourced, and built in USA. Spacers, and adapters are different. Have had them on a few years now. 10k miles pulling a triple axle trailer.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Wheel adapters/spacers are simply pieces of solid metal with studs. The potential for negative effects come from the act of installing. Don't think paying twice as much for a certain brand necessarily means it's better. That article about spydertrax being stronger than the wheel, etc is a bit misleading in that it is a bit irrelevant. I'd bet that pretty much any wheel spacer is going to be "stronger" than the wheel in such testing. It's a thicker, solid piece of metal.. I've run some 1.5" rough countries off someone on this forum for over a year and half now. No problems. Just check torque at every rotation.

Sent while gazing at my Jeep
That was my thought as well when reading through it. There was even a mention by the original study that the Spydertrax may even be "over engineered". Planman did a follow up of the RC spacers and while that study indicated they weren't as strong as the Spydertrax, it didn't indicate that it was the weakest link either and most reviews show the RC's having a 4.5 star user review. So they can't be that bad.

I thought I had a best of both worlds solution. The 1.75in Spydertrax I saw on CL dropped their price to $120 for a set of four. I just made the call and it seems I just missed out. Now which one of you guys on this forum beat me to the punch after I mentioned it?

I'm in no hurry, since I still need to install my lift. I'll keep my eyes open for some used Spidertrax, or convince myself to spend the extra $. In the meantime I'm not totally turned off from the RC adapters yet.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer Comparison