Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel size myth busting

Old 03-06-2014, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually never mind
Old 03-06-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I was not sure if you were asking a question or not. There was a period at the end of that sentence, not a question mark.

The op can spend his money any way he wishes.

To answer your question. 18" tires are expensive and the choices in tread pattern, brands, and sizes are very limited compared to a 16" or 17" tire. As planman stated earilier most are an E rated tire with a stiff sidewall to handle the weight and towing capacity of towing with a 3/4-ton truck.

If the op wants an expensive wheel/tire comb that rides rough that is fine with me. Most people I know don't want to spend more money on an inferior setup.

I have seen several people that have Sahara models that want to upgrade wheels and tires and they think they have to put 18" wheels on it because that is what their Jeep came with.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I was not sure if you were asking a question or not. There was a period at the end of that sentence, not a question mark. The op can spend his money any way he wishes. To answer your question. 18" tires are expensive and the choices in tread pattern, brands, and sizes are very limited compared to a 16" or 17" tire. As planman stated earilier most are an E rated tire with a stiff sidewall to handle the weight and towing capacity of towing with a 3/4-ton truck. If the op wants an expensive wheel/tire comb that rides rough that is fine with me. Most people I know don't want to spend more money on an inferior setup. I have seen several people that have Sahara models that want to upgrade wheels and tires and they think they have to put 18" wheels on it because that is what their Jeep came with.
Solid advice.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just looked on tread depot and discount tire….the op said he wants to run a 35x12.50 18…you stated there are many more choices at a 17 or 16…..compared on both sites…..35x1250x18 choice vs 35x1250x17 choice…..on tread depot you have 3 more options (9 vs 12) and on tire depot the difference is 2 (11 vs 13)…not what I consider many more choices but thats just me…also, out of those tire that are 17" on discount tire two were a c-rated…the rest are d and e rated tires….

Also so all jeeps with 18"+ wheel ride rough - don't a lot of off road tires have a d or e rating because the sidewall needs to be tough(stiff) and so you can air down….doesnt that mean regardless of tire size that you are saying most people on here must have a shitty driving jeep due to the fact that I see the majority of people on here running trail grapplers, toyos, etc which are d and e rated tires? That is a question.

I was not sure if you were asking a question or not. There was a period at the end of that sentence, not a question mark.

The op can spend his money any way he wishes.

To answer your question. 18" tires are expensive and the choices in tread pattern, brands, and sizes are very limited compared to a 16" or 17" tire. As planman stated earilier most are an E rated tire with a stiff sidewall to handle the weight and towing capacity of towing with a 3/4-ton truck.

If the op wants an expensive wheel/tire comb that rides rough that is fine with me. Most people I know don't want to spend more money on an inferior setup.

I have seen several people that have Sahara models that want to upgrade wheels and tires and they think they have to put 18" wheels on it because that is what their Jeep came with.

Last edited by Bobby G; 03-06-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I wouldn't expect someone that builds for looks over function to understand, Bobby. I am really not sure why the mall crawler crowd chimes in on these threads and wants to debate something to death to justify a poor decision they made because they bought something that looks cool.

The op may never go off road and has no concern about airing down and may not care about the cost of tires or choice, thats fine it is his jeep he can build it the way he wants. The only advantage that a 18" wheel/tire combo offers is less sidewall offering more stability cornering at speed, not really an issue on a Jeep.

Another note to the OP generally the wider your wheel the wider your overall track will be if that is a concern to you.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

First off, i don't mall crawl, i don't rock crawl….i drive my jeep, my wife drives my jeep - the way that 90% of the people buy a jeep to drive it….and I built my jeep with function completely in mind….i drive it….all over and it works great…you should see, it goes backwards forwards left right…its crazy how well it works.….your function might be different then mine but that doesn't make mine wrong….if people only bought a jeep they way you use it then we wouldn't have a jeep brand to buy cause they be out of business…..and thanks for downgrading my use of the jeep because i don't hardcore off road…."thumbs up"

and to what i already knew…you don't like 18s because you don't like 18s….no other reason….and i just wanted to make sure that came out.

keep on keepin on.

Bobby

I wouldn't expect someone that builds for looks over function to understand, Bobby. I am really not sure why the mall crawler crowd chimes in on these threads and wants to debate something to death to justify a poor decision they made because they bought something that looks cool.

The op may never go off road and has no concern about airing down and may not care about the cost of tires or choice, thats fine it is his jeep he can build it the way he wants. The only advantage that a 18" wheel/tire combo offers is less sidewall offering more stability cornering at speed, not really an issue on a Jeep.

Another note to the OP generally the wider your wheel the wider your overall track will be if that is a concern to you.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bobby G
First off, i don't mall crawl, i don't rock crawl….i drive my jeep, my wife drives my jeep - the way that 90% of the people buy a jeep to drive it….and I built my jeep with function completely in mind….i drive it….all over and it works great…you should see, it goes backwards forwards left right…its crazy how well it works.….your function might be different then mine but that doesn't make mine wrong….if people only bought a jeep they way you use it then we wouldn't have a jeep brand to buy cause they be out of business…..and thanks for downgrading my use of the jeep because i don't hardcore off road…."thumbs up" and to what i already knew…you don't like 18s because you don't like 18s….no other reason….and i just wanted to make sure that came out. keep on keepin on. Bobby
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_as...67769/jags.gif
You called him out, you were bound to get it back. 18's certainly have absolutely zero advantages offroad, fact (for 35's). They make tires more expensive, fact. Is there anything wrong with getting 18's, no absolutely not. All dirt man was saying is they are not ideal...
Old 03-06-2014, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I called him out or he called me out? i questioned him on his reason….on a side note your answers below make perfect sense and I couldn't agree more…..dirtman didn't say that and to be fair the OP never asked that - he was asking a tire width question and mentioned they were 18s….

He first questioned the OPs choice with "why the hell", then stated the jeep would drive like shit with 18s and had limited tire choice, then said i have no reason to be chiming in because i don't rock crawl…i just questioned him on his answers because i had a sneaky feeling it didn't matter what they were, he just thinks 18"+ on a jeep is wrong because that is his opinion and he has that right….i questioned his reason not his opinion.

I never said anything about the way he uses his jeep, i think its awesome actually and would love to hardcore off road, unfortunately with a new born, a sick family member, and a market research business i don't have the time…but i would love to get a jeep specifically for offloading.

and to note for just a mall crawler I did try to build my JKU the best possible with function and safety in mind…37 toyos, 5.13 yukons, synergy joints, synergy sleeve, new seals and bearings (both axels) flashpaq, gussets. Def not the greatest build but its functional for me.

Originally Posted by kh202
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_as...67769/jags.gif
You called him out, you were bound to get it back. 18's certainly have absolutely zero advantages offroad, fact (for 35's). They make tires more expensive, fact. Is there anything wrong with getting 18's, no absolutely not. All dirt man was saying is they are not ideal...
Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

I called him out or he called me out? i questioned him on his reason….on a side note your answers below make perfect sense and I couldn't agree more…..dirtman didn't say that and to be fair the OP never asked that - he was asking a tire width question and mentioned they were 18s…. He first questioned the OPs choice with "why the hell", then stated the jeep would drive like shit with 18s and had limited tire choice, then said i have no reason to be chiming in because i don't rock crawl…i just questioned him on his answers because i had a sneaky feeling it didn't matter what they were, he just thinks 18"+ on a jeep is wrong because that is his opinion and he has that right….i questioned his reason not his opinion. I never said anything about the way he uses his jeep, i think its awesome actually and would love to hardcore off road, unfortunately with a new born, a sick family member, and a market research business i don't have the time…but i would love to get a jeep specifically for offloading. and to note for just a mall crawler I did try to build my JKU the best possible with function and safety in mind…37 toyos, 5.13 yukons, synergy joints, synergy sleeve, new seals and bearings (both axels) flashpaq, gussets. Def not the greatest build but its functional for me.
I'd say you did, but he said she said who cares let's move on
Why, elaborate on how you want this guy to spend HIS money.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Birds of the same feather flock together….

Originally Posted by kh202
I'd say you did, but he said she said who cares let's move on

Quick Reply: Wheel size myth busting