Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: What Wheel Size
17x8
28.57%
17x9
71.43%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Wheel Size

Old 10-01-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For 35's I'd do the 8" rim. The tire will sit tighter against the bead (less chance of slipping off when aired down) and will also give a bit more diameter to the tire vs the 9". I can't speake for the 37, unless it's also a 12.5" width....in which case the arguement would be the same.

I just went through a similiar dilemma..... went 16x8 rims for 35x12.5 tires.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
?

I run 37x12.50R17 KM2s on 17x9 Walker Evans Beadlocks with 3.75" backspacing a 2.5"-3" lift and had to add almost 1/2" of washers on my steering stops to avoid losing paint on my frame rail from rubbing on full lock turns.

I'd be suprised if you went out and looked at your frame rail and didn't see evidence that the tires rub on a full lock turn with 5" backspacing and 35" tires without significant steering stop adjustment. If you wheel it disconnected, I'd be suprised if your tires do not rub the paint off your swaybar on a full lock turn while the tire is somewhat stuffed.
Yes I do wheel disco'd (my front s.b. is out of the way when disconnected, not-electric). At full stuff & turned hard left, that tire does just graze the frame. When I made my original post I was thinking more of other people that had issues with 17x9s rubbing the rear sway bar end links
Old 10-02-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
?

I run 37x12.50R17 KM2s on 17x9 Walker Evans Beadlocks with 3.75" backspacing a 2.5"-3" lift and had to add almost 1/2" of washers on my steering stops to avoid losing paint on my frame rail from rubbing on full lock turns.

I'd be suprised if you went out and looked at your frame rail and didn't see evidence that the tires rub on a full lock turn with 5" backspacing and 35" tires without significant steering stop adjustment. If you wheel it disconnected, I'd be suprised if your tires do not rub the paint off your swaybar on a full lock turn while the tire is somewhat stuffed.
the less the backspacing the further out the wheel is thats why you have rubbin issues and the guy with 5" doesn't. if you extend the wheel far enough it will rub on the door when turned. you want it to pivot on the ball joints, by backspacing it way out you are swinging the tire not turning it
Old 10-02-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Based on the poll I just ordered the 9 inch one. Thanks for everyone's help. The reason I did this is to hopefully get a better contact patch/tire life on the road because it will only be wheeled occasionally.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

planman don't be upset I looked at all the options and decided that I will probably only ever run 35's. If and when I go the run 37's I will invest the money in beadlocks. I thank you for your advise
Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by horwitzs
Most 12.5" wide tires have specs that say 8 or 8.5 wide wheels are the bare minimum.
The 9 would put you more in the middle range of what the tire was designed to fit on.
exactly
Old 10-02-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

The wheel backspacing required will change from one wheel width to another! An 8" wide wheel with 4.5" of backspacing will be about the same as a 9" wide wheel with 5.00" of backspacing.

A wheels backspacing does not tell the whole story. It is really the wheel's offset that is needed when comparing wheels of different widths.

Remember that a rims backspacing includes the wheel lip in it's measurement as well. This is why it's possible to have an 8" wide wheel with 4" of backspacing and an offset of -6mm for example. Most 8" wide wheels are actually 8.5" wide including the wheel lips. So if an 8" wide wheel has 4" of backspacing it will probably have about 4.5" of wheel outboard of the mounting plane.

Here is a comparison of the two specific Pro Comp wheels in question:
17x8 wheel with 4.5" of backspacing has an offset of 0 mm
17x9 wheel with 4.75" of backspacing has an offset of -6 mm

This means that the 17x9 wheel will stick out 6 mm (about 1/4 of an inch) MORE than the 17x8 wheel. Either way you're good to go as far as the wheels/tires fitting. But as noted... most tire manufactures recommended a minimum of 8.5" wide wheels for tires that are 12.5" wide on 17" wheels.

Quick Reply: Wheel Size