Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel recommendation

Old 05-01-2009, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel recommendation

I've managed to keep the 2008 nearly stock for a year (except for soft doors, heated seats, gas cap cover).

But the project has officially begun. I'm going to do a 3" lift with 35s. I just ordered a front bumper (rugged ridge), rear bumper will be ordered soon. Now I'm shopping for wheels.

I have a black 2 door soft top. I love black wheels but I don't think I like them on a black jeep as they seem to get lost. I'm not a fan of majorly shiny chrome bling wheels or wheels that are too busy.

I considered just going with the stockers with spacers but I promised a friend whos tight on money (wife and 4 kids) I'd sell him my rubi wheels and tires on the cheap for his X. Athough I like the stock wheels, I'd like a little more personalized look too.

Does anyone know of who makes a clean silver (not chrome) wheel that isn't too busy? It seems like all the aftermarket wheels are black or chrome and many just have WAY too much going on for my tastes.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:19 AM
JK Super Freak

AEV
Old 05-01-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got Black Rock Series 900 Vipers on my '09 Black 4 Door X and I really like them. I was with you... I had a 98 Black TJ and had basic American Racing black D wheels. On the '09 I wanted something that would dress it up some but still stay in the area of blacking it out. These Black Rocks have a shiny aluminum outer ring and the interior is all black.

I got them through Summit Racing... $12 shipping and no tax plus the best price I could find.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

do yu have any pics wiht eh black rock wheels. i have been trying to get htem for a whicle and noboday in San diego has seen them.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

My AEV wheels road forced out very close to perfect when new. If you purchase AEV wheel ask for an additional set of center cap stickers - kinda the weak spot on the wheel.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

I like the AEV, but I'm not sure I like the yellow center caps.

BlackMagicJeep - I also was looking at the vipers. Any pics with them on your rig?

Here are the two I'm considering. What do you guys think?

Rugged Ridge

Black Rock Viper
Old 05-02-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Talking

Here are some pics of Black Rock Vipers in black on my 09 4-door.

before:

after:

close up:

Old 05-02-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the picsBlackMagicJeep! Those look really good.

I'm really curious how the silver versions would look. I might have to photshop something up.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

OK I took the liberty of stealing this picture from Hyatt147 because I think his jeep rocks and is similar to what mine should look like when I'm done

I then used my non-existant photoshop skills to photochop int he rugged ridge and the silver black rock vipers.

Vipers...

Rugged ridge...

Hmmm still torn...
Old 05-02-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc_D
OK I took the liberty of stealing this picture from Hyatt147 because I think his jeep rocks and is similar to what mine should look like when I'm done

I then used my non-existant photoshop skills to photochop int he rugged ridge and the silver black rock vipers.

Vipers...

Rugged ridge...

Hmmm still torn...
Dude, I commend you on the photoshop job lol AEV does make silver wheels, and Pro Comp makes polished and powder coat wheels that look pretty damn good IMO. I do like those RR wheels though. I would suggest checking all three companies out.

Quick Reply: Wheel recommendation