Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel offset with lift

Old 07-02-2015, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel offset with lift

So I believe I put the cart before the horse on this one...... I recently bought Moto Metal 20'' x 9"" wheels with 5.7'' of backspacing.... They were paired with 275/65R20 Toyo open country ATII Tires which according to Toyo's website are 34.1'' tall x 11'' wide. Everything fit without a lift and doesn't rub, However I do want to order a lift for it..... The problem I am having is at 5.7'' of backspacing everyone is telling me I will need wheel spacers which I don't want...... Is anyone running a similar setup or have any recommendations on which lift to use. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Tire size is the main factor for backspace/offset. The general backspace recommendations are 4.5" for 35's and 3.5" for 37's. But there is a lot of variance in tire height (not mfg specs, but actual measured height) and lift size and axle centering and bumpstop height and ...

If you see a recommendation on a lift, it is generally because people run lifts to fit those larger tires and not because of the lift itself. (though a few mfg's may have notes on specific backspaces for clearance on the new links they provide.) So just a guess, but if the tires are not rubbing now, they won't rub with the lift.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Tire size is the main factor for backspace/offset. The general backspace recommendations are 4.5" for 35's and 3.5" for 37's. But there is a lot of variance in tire height (not mfg specs, but actual measured height) and lift size and axle centering and bumpstop height and ...

If you see a recommendation on a lift, it is generally because people run lifts to fit those larger tires and not because of the lift itself. (though a few mfg's may have notes on specific backspaces for clearance on the new links they provide.) So just a guess, but if the tires are not rubbing now, they won't rub with the lift.

Thank you.... They in fact dont rub now, what I was worried about wast they sway bar link bolts hitting the tire, but I think I found that with a 20" rim and a 2.5'' lift the sway bar should still be inside the rim.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If the instructions for the new links call for them to placed outside the swaybar, just mount them inside. That should give plenty of clearance, and is what Teraflex has recommended here many times in the past.

Quick Reply: Wheel offset with lift