Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel off set. What's the deal

Old 05-13-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...so bear with me on this question. If I have the stock 17" Rubicon wheels and I want to run 35" tires on these (or new) rims...the tire size would be 35/12.5/17 but what wheel size would I want to be looking at if I wanted to buy new wheels?? I think I want 17X9 rims...but with what other characteristics? Offset of...? What's my current offset?? (thinking it's 0)?? Also, if I know I will more than likely need 1.5 inch spacers ANYWAY...what offset would I be looking for in the new wheel to compensate?

Last edited by Rugbyduck; 05-13-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

with a 9" wheel saying you need a 4.5" backspacing your new wheel would need to hav a offset of 0

My set up is 37s on 18 x 8.5 with a +12 offset ( 5.25" backspacing ) I am using 1.25" adpater to compinsate for the wrong offset which only really affected the rear rub into the frame, brake lines, and swaybar.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

From what I understand searching the forum...I want 17X9 rims for 35/12.5/17 tires. In order to make the stock rims work and not have the tires rub up front, I was told I would need a 1.5 in spacer for each. True? If so, that being the case, would I then want to look for a rim 17X9 with a 4-5 inch offset?? Damn this is confusing! I am reading every damn thread I can!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that dificult. Throw offset out the window, who gives a crap what it is.

The stock tire say on a Rubicon is 10" wide and is about a 1/2" from rubbing any surface. Now you want to put a tire on there that is 2.5" wider than the stock one. Your tire is going to stick out 1.25" more on each side of the rim. give yourself a little fudge room and get a 1.5" spacer or a rim the has 1.5" less back spacing than stock.(6.25 - 1.5 = 4.75). And yes, your tire will stick out from your fenders about 1.25" - 1.5". Nothing you can do about it no matter where you live. You are adding a tire that is 2.5" wider and you have to push it out 1.5" so it wont rub on anything so you effectively added 4" of tire to the outside of your existing tire.

Notice how offset didn't come into play at all here. It is what it is and it is no concern to you. Who gives a crap where the mounting surface is in relationship to the center of the rim, it just confuses the issue. If you can't have your tire stick out past your fender you have two choices, get bigger fenders or narrower tires with a wheel backspacing that suits them.

By the way, I have 35 x 12.5 x 17" tires on 17 x 8" rims with 4.5" of backspace. My tires stick out about 1.5" from the fender, which I like. And snow and crap is going to get all over the side of you Jeep unless you put mud flaps on anyway. Your Sahara will do okay with the side steps. But if you wheel with them, you will bust or rip them off anyway.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-14-2007, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Much better! Hitting my head right now... I appreciate your patience!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
It's not that dificult. Throw offset out the window, who gives a crap what it is.

The stock tire say on a Rubicon is 10" wide and is about a 1/2" from rubbing any surface. Now you want to put a tire on there that is 2.5" wider than the stock one. Your tire is going to stick out 1.25" more on each side of the rim. give yourself a little fudge room and get a 1.5" spacer or a rim the has 1.5" less back spacing than stock.(6.25 - 1.5 = 4.75). And yes, your tire will stick out from your fenders about 1.25" - 1.5". Nothing you can do about it no matter where you live. You are adding a tire that is 2.5" wider and you have to push it out 1.5" so it wont rub on anything so you effectively added 4" of tire to the outside of your existing tire.

Notice how offset didn't come into play at all here. It is what it is and it is no concern to you. Who gives a crap where the mounting surface is in relationship to the center of the rim, it just confuses the issue. If you can't have your tire stick out past your fender you have two choices, get bigger fenders or narrower tires with a wheel backspacing that suits them.
Rubimon,
I appreciate your help and I'm not trying to be arguementative but I feel there is some confusion here. Using your example, if I am mounting a tire that is 2.5" wider than a stock tire, I will have 1.25-or for sake of arguement, 1.5" sticking out farther on each side of the rim. You say "or a rim the has 1.5" less back spacing..." but why isn't this offset? The mounting surface is entirely the most important thing. If the mounting surface was on the inside edge of the wheel, hence giving me a 10" deep rim, I would have no rubbing issues on the inside of the tire, and 10" sticking outside of the fender. Wouldn't that be all offset and not backspacing?

All I want to do is run a 17" or 18" rim with 35" tires and not rub (3" lift") and not stick out too far.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaharaMike
Rubimon,
I appreciate your help and I'm not trying to be arguementative but I feel there is some confusion here. Using your example, if I am mounting a tire that is 2.5" wider than a stock tire, I will have 1.25-or for sake of arguement, 1.5" sticking out farther on each side of the rim. You say "or a rim the has 1.5" less back spacing..." but why isn't this offset? The mounting surface is entirely the most important thing. If the mounting surface was on the inside edge of the wheel, hence giving me a 10" deep rim, I would have no rubbing issues on the inside of the tire, and 10" sticking outside of the fender. Wouldn't that be all offset and not backspacing?

All I want to do is run a 17" or 18" rim with 35" tires and not rub (3" lift") and not stick out too far.
Offset is the mounting space in relationship to the center of the rim which you dont care about.

Backspacing is the distance from the mounting surface to the inside edge of the rim which you do care about.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

Again, here's a cheat sheet for backspacing, offset and many other useful things.

https://rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
Old 05-14-2007, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Okey dokey! So today I ordered what a couple other people have as a set up for tires and wheels. Hillant, in the black JK gallery has these wheels and tires and they look great!:toung: Gear Alloy 713MBrims (18inch with a 10 offset) with the Kumho mud tires (35/12.5/18). So...how far will they stick out past the fender lips? I know...but by my calculation, if I did it right, about an inch.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Hell! I forgot to order 5 wheels and tires!

Quick Reply: Wheel off set. What's the deal