Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel Load Capacity

Old 05-21-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Load Capacity

I am looking to get a new set of wheels, the stock 18s quite frankly, suck. I would like to know the safe minimum wheel, that is the rim, load capacity that I can get away with. I won't go with the lowest but I want to use that as a reference point. I expect that Mopar went with the lowest cheapest they could get by with, but I have no idea how to read the codes on the inside of the rim. They are standardized, but I cannot find a reference to tire and rim codes that isn't solely the tire. Any thoughts on Allied beadlocks? not sure if they are a sponsor, I have seen their products marketed by different companies. Or even where to get the Mopar Rock monster beadlock that resembles the moab rims.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't really think you need to worry about the weight limits especiallyif you are looking at beadlocks. Beadlock usually have a limit around 3500 pounds.

Hutchinson rock monster
Walker evans
Raceline
Spyderlock
ATX slab

These are all beadlocks that are widely used and get great reviews
Old 05-22-2011, 12:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, the Jeeps dont weigh a helluva lot, if you get a wheel from a reputable manufacturer, run it. There is alot of research that goes into building a wheel, and that includes what it could possibly be bolted onto. IE an 8x6.5" lug pattern will not have a 1500lb load rating because that is a one ton pattern.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses. Still does anyone know how to read the codes stamped into the metal of the rim? All I have been able to find out is that the J that follows 18x7.5 is the seating shape, and that is from a corvette forum.
The allied daytona beadlocks are steel and have a max load rating that varies between 1700 and 2200 lbs (race wheel?), I would think that how it varies a 15x8" 5x127 lug would have a max rating of 1800-1900 lbs. They are definitely not the hardcore wheels that you see people tearing across the desert with. I wouldn't be doing serious off roading, this is my daily driver. I am concerned with muddy mountain trails. Beadlocks probably aren't necessary, but I would feel better about it. I did finally comes across a couple of sites selling the "Moab" Hutchinson Rockmonsters, at a large markup after showing the MSRP, supply demand, oh well.

Quick Reply: Wheel Load Capacity