Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wheel hop causing tires to scallop

Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel hop causing tires to scallop

I had a 2.5 teraflex lift on with stock BFG mud tires. Tires scalloped. Since I installed 3 inch teraflex lift with bilstien shocks, TF front and rear adjustable trackbars, TF front lower adjustable control arms and 35 Maxxis Trebadors. I had alignments on both lifts, multiple aglignments with the 2.5 lift. Speeds over 35mph I feel vibrations coming from the front almost like a slight wheel hop vibratin. I do not want the new tires scalloping too. Does anyone know what would cause this? I plan on taking it back to the alignment shop in the morning to see what they can come up with. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wheel hop is usually caused by tires that are out of round or out of balance combined with loose parts or weak shock damping.

Check the balance of those tires.
Look for loose front end parts.
Verify the shock damping is proper.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

could be ball joints as well as many other things. i had a really bad wheel hope on a tire before and it ended up being a piece of rubber to balance out the tire from the factory that came unglued. i would go for a new balance job first or swap the front tires to the back and see if it moves or goes away if you don't want to pay for a balance. then check the ball joints and shocks after that if it is not tire related. good luck
Old 03-27-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

I also had a bad wheel hop. Like Codysanders I had a glued in balance patch come loose about two weeks ago. Thought I was the only one that lucky.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by A/C Guy
Wheel hop is usually caused by tires that are out of round or out of balance combined with loose parts or weak shock damping.

Check the balance of those tires.
Look for loose front end parts.
Verify the shock damping is proper.
OK- I bought a new torque wrench and checked the bolts underneth in the frontend, I torqued all the bolts down and found nothing major, maybe a quarter of a turn. I did the same on the rearend and I came acrossed the lower passenger side trackbar bolt loose, I could turn with my fingers. Could that cause the tire hop? Like I said before, it felt like it was coming from the front. Note to self, check bolts more often.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by codysanders
could be ball joints as well as many other things. i had a really bad wheel hope on a tire before and it ended up being a piece of rubber to balance out the tire from the factory that came unglued. i would go for a new balance job first or swap the front tires to the back and see if it moves or goes away if you don't want to pay for a balance. then check the ball joints and shocks after that if it is not tire related. good luck
How do I check the ball joints? How do I know if they are bad?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wderry
OK- I bought a new torque wrench and checked the bolts underneth in the frontend, I torqued all the bolts down and found nothing major, maybe a quarter of a turn. I did the same on the rearend and I came acrossed the lower passenger side trackbar bolt loose, I could turn with my fingers. Could that cause the tire hop? Like I said before, it felt like it was coming from the front. Note to self, check bolts more often.
Drove it today and did not feel the hop vibration. Love this forum! Thank you everyone

Quick Reply: wheel hop causing tires to scallop