Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel fell off driving down the road (not the spare)

Old 08-03-2014, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
Your factory wheel studs are longer than the spacer. I would bet that if you look at the spare the wheel already has damage from the factory wheel studs. So when you installed it it allowed it to tighten down properly with no issue.
I've got the 1.5" Spidertrax on my '13, and had them on my '07 too. The factory studs didn't come past the Spidertrax spacer on either. Are your Spidertrax 1.25"?? Not sure they even make them at less than 1.5" and a 5x5 pattern?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Spacers are definitely the problem. They are actually G2 1.25" spacers. I had SpiderTrax 1.5" previously. Going to take off spacers and put on the new lug nuts
Old 08-03-2014, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spare tire has relief points cast into it between the lug holes. That's why the brake retainer clips don't bother the factory wheels! The lugs protruding through the spacer do not contact the spare wheel.

Goes back to my original response. Wrong parts.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Collyn
Spare tire has relief points cast into it between the lug holes. That's why the brake retainer clips don't bother the factory wheels! The lugs protruding through the spacer do not contact the spare wheel. Goes back to my original response. Wrong parts.
My spare is also a full size procomp 7031. Not an OEM wheel. It has no relief point lol. I now KNOW the spacer is the problem. But still doesn't explain how the spare stayed on. While the other procomps didnt
Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kako
Spacers are definitely the problem. They are actually G2 1.25" spacers. I had SpiderTrax 1.5" previously. Going to take off spacers and put on the new lug nuts
The spacer depth is the problem. 1.5" allows the studs to stay beneath the wheel contact area, while 1.25" spacers let the studs interfere. Either shave the studs down or go with 1.5" offset.

And from an earlier response of "what's worse than getting killed" is killing innocent bystanders.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 08-03-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

What are you torquing your wheels to?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im guessing rear wheel. Front studs are shorter than 1.25

Take a cut off wheel and cut off a bit of the studs so that they do not protrude past the spacer.

You won't even need to cut into thread.

Took me 5 minutes.

Your spare stayed out of luck.... no other reason.

You tightened tire against protruding studs and eventually wore enough material away to get enough wiggle for lugs to loosen.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kako

Here's a video of lightning striking twice
YouTube Link: http://youtu.be/mjI8AxZnrx8

But on a serious note. Here are pics of the first wheel that fell off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwr1a146gDg&sns=em Also, yes, as the wheel digs in on the stud it will loosen up the lugs allowing it to come off like it did. Had it happen when I was 16 in a car using adapters instead of spacers, but same issue. Wheel/tire tore up the quarter panel and passed us up as I was coming to a stop at a stop sign.

Last edited by zstairlessone; 08-04-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel fell off driving down the road (not the spare)