Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel fell off driving down the road (not the spare)

Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
Lol and coincidentally, none of those pics show anything that cud assist in diagnosing. What good does the pic of the wheel do showing the tread? Lol I sensed this was bs when i first read the thread, now it just seems likely it is. Lightning doesnt strike the same place twice. It shouldnt take several days and multiple posts to get the OP to provide meaningful detail.
Here's a video of lightning striking twice
http://youtu.be/mjI8AxZnrx8 But on a serious note. Here are pics of the first wheel that fell off
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4056949585.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	569078   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1197551845.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	569079   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3833795780.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	569080   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-286045870.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	569081  
Old 08-03-2014, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

And this is the new wheel with stickers still on it that fell off two days ago.

Name:	image-1207799697.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	569084   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1711268560.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	569085  
Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

This is my shock mount skid that has gone to shit and my rotor that's grinded up

Name:	image-1494912670.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	569087   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-955808965.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	569088  
Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Looks like you have multiple issues. you can see where the factory studs are making contact with the wheel. When you initially tighten the wheel it may have snugged down but as the wheel studs dug (or self clearanced )the wheel that resulted in a loose wheel eventually allowing the lug nuts to back off and the wheel to fall off. I would seriously get rid of the wheel spacers and get some that are at least wide enough to cover the factory studs.

Just my take form the pics you posted
Old 08-03-2014, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
Looks like you have multiple issues. you can see where the factory studs are making contact with the wheel. When you initially tighten the wheel it may have snugged down but as the wheel studs dug (or self clearanced )the wheel that resulted in a loose wheel eventually allowing the lug nuts to back off and the wheel to fall off. I would seriously get rid of the wheel spacers and get some that are at least wide enough to cover the factory studs. Just my take form the pics you posted
You see. I figured the spacers would be part of the problem. What really confused me is that the spare was fine while the original and new wheel were not.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Your factory wheel studs are longer than the spacer. I would bet that if you look at the spare the wheel already has damage from the factory wheel studs. So when you installed it it allowed it to tighten down properly with no issue.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Your factory wheel studs are longer than the spacer. I would bet that if you look at the spare the wheel already has damage from the factory wheel studs. So when you installed it it allowed it to tighten down properly with no issue.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look at the spare when I get new lugs and take off the spacers. Also it's weird that the other wheels have no issues. I'll have to check the others out.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:06 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

If you watch that video I posted earlier of Teraflex's install of the their adapter-spacers, they actually say to trim the OEM lugs if they extend past the face of the adapter after installing. I can't speak for Spidertrax but I've run the Teraflex units without any problems and the face of the adapter just cleared the OEM lugs so I felt better not having to shave/trim off any of the OEM lugs.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Lucky no one was killed or worse.
Lol- What would be worse than being killed?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Looks like you have multiple issues. you can see where the factory studs are making contact with the wheel. When you initially tighten the wheel it may have snugged down but as the wheel studs dug (or self clearanced )the wheel that resulted in a loose wheel eventually allowing the lug nuts to back off and the wheel to fall off. I would seriously get rid of the wheel spacers and get some that are at least wide enough to cover the factory studs.

Just my take form the pics you posted
Yep, this damage should not be happening ...

Definitely ensure that those OEM wheel studs don't protrude so far as to contact the wheel--either a new spacer or grind down the wheel studs. At this point I'm curious what the spare tire wheel looks like, and what the other OEM wheel studs look like. If I were you, I'd pull all of them and check it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	569108

Quick Reply: Wheel fell off driving down the road (not the spare)