Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel fell off driving down the road (not the spare)

Old 08-01-2014, 11:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this makes a difference. But I've been running SpiderTrax spacer for about 30k miles now.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:18 PM
JK Freak

given the nature and cost of fixing fenders and rotors and a new wheel every time this might keep happening, personally I would pull the lug bolts, get a new set of lug nuts, and just replace the damn things now. I am not sure what you are torqing to, but I generally tighten my lugs (once down off the jack) to where they are require "elbow" grease to loosen again, or just a couple good kicks with the leg on the lug wrench. so far I have never had a lug fall off on me, let alone a wheel.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kako
Yeah I'm going to talk to him tomorrow. It doesn't look like it was his mistake. The lugs came off completely and the studs are not stripped.
So confused man. I hope you figure this out, and please keep us updated if you do.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

This is really weird and, as someone else wrote, unusual. A couple questions (and photos, as always would really help--especially close-ups of the inside of the wheel and of the area around the hug) ...
  • Are you running wheel spacers? What type, if so? Some cheap ones use the OEM studs and are unsafe to use.
  • How do you know that you have the correct lug nuts? This would be the very first thing I'd suspect.
  • Did you remove the factory assembly spring rings from the studs on that wheel when switching to new wheels? Some aftermarket wheels are not designed to seat properly over those, and they are only needed at the factory for assembly. The OEM wheels are okay with them, though.
  • Is your spare the same wheel, or is it stock?
  • What happened exactly that the wheel came off? The lugs backed off, all five, completely, and are therefore lost along the highway somewhere? Or something else? If you recovered a lug nut, a photo of its threads would be helpful.
  • What brand lug nuts are your using? I've found one brand that I won't use anymore because the metal is soft and easily strips out.

Sorry for your poor experience with your Jeep. Even with the above possible problems, I'm surprised that the wheel stays on for so little time. That is just unreal.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the Spidertrax spacer stay on the rotor or did it come off with the wheel?
Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE="BlackRockBurner;3960193"]Did the Spidertrax spacer stay on the rotor or did it come off with the wheel?[/QUOTE

Along Same line- Did the spacer get torqued? Maybe it's lose and you are tightening to that? Once you start driving it wiggles and now lug nuts essentially loose? No idea. I'd take spacers off and try it without em.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

did the retainer clips get removed before installing the spacers or aftermarket rims. there is a retainer clip on the lugs that needs to be removed if you have anything but factory rims.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jadmt
did the retainer clips get removed before installing the spacers or aftermarket rims. there is a retainer clip on the lugs that needs to be removed if you have anything but factory rims.
X2

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 08-02-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
X2 2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
I just switched to aftermarket wheels and didn't change any retainer clips. Bout 200 miles no problems but gonna go look now haha
Old 08-02-2014, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the lug nuts bottoming out first? Different rims and the small amount from the retainers may mean torquing isn't really clamping wheel on..

Quick Reply: Wheel fell off driving down the road (not the spare)