Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel fell off driving down the road (not the spare)

Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel fell off driving down the road (not the spare)

10 days ago I took my Jeep to a friends shop to have my rig aligned and tires rotated. After I left his shop, I got about 6 miles away when my back driver wheel fell off while driving 55mph. The jeep suffered a bent wheel, messed up rotor and broken fender and some road rash in the stock shock skids. I called the shop and explained the situation. He told me his employee torqued the wheel down twice while he watched him but regardless he will pay the costs of repairs. I agreed. The rotor got replaced first while the other parts were in the mail and I started driving with my spare. I put the spare on my self and have driven it for 10 days and approximately 300 miles with no problems. Today I got my new wheel in and installed my new wheel myself as well. Torqued the wheel down twice just to be safe. I drove literally less than a mile before the new wheel fell off again. Now the ESP, ABS and traction control lights are all on. I'm at a loss. And honestly am becoming paranoid about driving my jeep. Any ideas what in the world is going on?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is crazy! Are you using custom lug nuts that are the wrong size? Stock wheels? Are the threaded studs breaking off?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:14 PM
JK Newbie

Are you running with stock wheels or aftermarket? I know the small tabs on the lug bolts WILL cause problems with many aftermarket rims if they werent removed.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
JK Newbie

Procomp 7031 wheels with proper acorn lug nuts. No broken studs
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy shit! That's crazy! Hope you reimburse your friend seeing as it wasn't their error, but I have no idea how that could happen if your lugs are correct.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:35 PM
JK Freak

Oops! I didn't even ask how long you had the wheels on prior. They could have stripped the bolts, but I'd think you'd notice that while torquing the lugs.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

Sorry for the multiple replies, but were your lug nuts still attached to the bolts after your wheel came off?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 PM
JK Freak

this is definitely one of those "its just you" things and not all jk's in general. something is very wrong with the drivers side rear lugs or bolts though, is your spare different then the new/old wheel? odd that you drove on the spare 10 days with no issues but the original and new wheels fell right off after relugging them.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrChuckles
Sorry for the multiple replies, but were your lug nuts still attached to the bolts after your wheel came off?
Yeah I'm going to talk to him tomorrow. It doesn't look like it was his mistake. The lugs came off completely and the studs are not stripped.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
this is definitely one of those "its just you" things and not all jk's in general. something is very wrong with the drivers side rear lugs or bolts though, is your spare different then the new/old wheel? odd that you drove on the spare 10 days with no issues but the original and new wheels fell right off after relugging them.
All the wheels including the spare are Procomp 7031. And yeah the fact that I drove on the spare with no problem is where I'm dumbfounded.

Quick Reply: Wheel fell off driving down the road (not the spare)