Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel Durablity

Old 12-16-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Durablity

With so many brands of wheels each with several different models on the market, all made differently, are there brands of wheels to try to stay away from? I understand you get whay you pay for, but being a newbie to wheelin with so many different options it can be a little overwhelming. There are many different wheels that I think would look awesome on the jeep, but are some better than others?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Hey, runnin2fire, what part of MWC? I live in Windsong. Anyway, not a direct answer to your question, but I went with alloy wheels primarily because of the lighter unsprung weight--better performance for the JK and a little easier to handle the wheel/tire combo when swapping out the spare. However, after a run at Frieling's in Clayton the alloy wheels got pretty tore up. You can see it on the front wheel in the pic below--the grayish streaks along that wheel rim are where the flat black finish was abraded off exposing the underlying alloy. I'm okay with that (shows that I do wheel), but some folks would like their Jeep to look pretty immaculate even though they may wheel it. If that's important to you, you may want to stick to steel wheels that you can easily rattlecan back into shape after a few runs.

BTW: Keep an eye on the Midwest section here on JK-Forum. We plan runs, mod's and just getting together to share a meal on there from time to time. And, when you see me running around town, be sure to wave!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Hey neighbor, thanks for the reply. I live about a mile and a half from you in Stone Creek (Reno and Westminster). As far as the alloy wheel goes can an alloy be repaired or do you throw one away if one gets damaged. Not that care a lot about scratches and dings more like bends and breaks.

We will have to get together and shoot the bull over a cup of joe.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by runnin2fire
Hey neighbor, thanks for the reply. I live about a mile and a half from you in Stone Creek (Reno and Westminster). As far as the alloy wheel goes can an alloy be repaired or do you throw one away if one gets damaged. Not that care a lot about scratches and dings more like bends and breaks.

We will have to get together and shoot the bull over a cup of joe.
Alloys can be touched up for cosmetic repair, but when they break, they break.
Steels can be hammered back into shape if they get bent a little. Not so with alloys.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

If you are hammering and bending on a steel wheel is that going to screw up the balance. but I guess you could deal with a little wobble if it was between walking or making it home.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by runnin2fire
If you are hammering and bending on a steel wheel is that going to screw up the balance. but I guess you could deal with a little wobble if it was between walking or making it home.
It might a little, but unless you actually lose a chunk of metal, you're still going to have the same mass in the nearly the same place.
Only costs a few bucks to have the wheel rebalanced at a tire shop.
And don't forget, you should have a spare with you, so you can always swap if you lose a bead while you are away from civilization.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be the odd man out..I prefer aluminum wheels..
I used to run some steel wheels made by western..I always bent these wheels out of center..In other words they would wobble after a decent off road secession..

I haven't broken an aluminum wheel yet.
You can snap pieces off of these cast aluminum wheels..It just hasn't happened to me yet..
Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by horwitzs
It might a little, but unless you actually lose a chunk of metal, you're still going to have the same mass in the nearly the same place.
Only costs a few bucks to have the wheel rebalanced at a tire shop.
And don't forget, you should have a spare with you, so you can always swap if you lose a bead while you are away from civilization.
X2, that is why I went with soft 8s, I beat the $hit out of them, beat them back and rattle can them & they look almost "new", try that with a high dollar aluminum wheel.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ifshinxs
I'll be the odd man out..I prefer aluminum wheels..
I used to run some steel wheels made by western..I always bent these wheels out of center..In other words they would wobble after a decent off road secession..

I haven't broken an aluminum wheel yet.
You can snap pieces off of these cast aluminum wheels..It just hasn't happened to me yet..
I also prefer aluminum, but I don't do extreme wheeling on rocks like some of you guys do.

Quick Reply: Wheel Durablity