Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel adapters

Old 01-22-2015, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel adapters

Hey guys thought I would just pick your brains as I was doing a little reading but not coming up with a definite answer. I am currently running 5x5-5x5.5 wheel adapters. The person I got my wheels from gave me his adapters so I am not sure if they're hubcentric or not. But is it possible that if they are not they could help contribute to initiating death wobble? I feel like that's definitely an instance that could create a shake and lead to DW. I have replaced everything in my front end and currently having my wheels balanced. The only thing that I would have left that's not brand new is the steering linkage itself which im looking into getting a sector shaft brace and the upper control arms are stock.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty easy to check and see if the spacer is centric. Just pull the lug nuts holding the spacer on and see if the spacer is riding on the machined lip or loose. My guess is that it should be.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andore
Hey guys thought I would just pick your brains as I was doing a little reading but not coming up with a definite answer. I am currently running 5x5-5x5.5 wheel adapters. The person I got my wheels from gave me his adapters so I am not sure if they're hubcentric or not. But is it possible that if they are not they could help contribute to initiating death wobble? I feel like that's definitely an instance that could create a shake and lead to DW. I have replaced everything in my front end and currently having my wheels balanced. The only thing that I would have left that's not brand new is the steering linkage itself which im looking into getting a sector shaft brace and the upper control arms are stock.
Ive had non HC adapters b4 with no spacer ring. The wobble was contant all the time. I bought plastic spacer rings to center the adapters. What a difference. I now have aftermarket rims and glad i kept the rings cause i needed them again.

Imo alot of people overlook this problem with after market rims
Old 01-22-2015, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

They're not hubcentric i just took a look. the shake isnt constant though im getting its at certain speeds. however i still think hubcentric would probably be a good way to go.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

They're not hubcentric i just took a look. the shake isnt constant though im getting its at certain speeds. however i still think hubcentric would probably be a good way to go.
Yes it would
Old 01-23-2015, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tribulation138
Ive had non HC adapters b4 with no spacer ring. The wobble was contant all the time. I bought plastic spacer rings to center the adapters. What a difference. I now have aftermarket rims and glad i kept the rings cause i needed them again.

Imo alot of people overlook this problem with after market rims
Out of curiosity where did you find the rings? I just looked into them quickly and that seems like a decent way to do it as well plus they're cheap if it doesnt work.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Out of curiosity where did you find the rings? I just looked into them quickly and that seems like a decent way to do it as well plus they're cheap if it doesnt work.
Ill have to try to remember. I remember they shipped from cali
Old 01-24-2015, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

http://www.bigbrandwheels.com/Hub-Ce...ings-Dept/263/

Quick Reply: Wheel adapters