Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What's my next mod?

Old 03-22-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atch
What tire pressure u running? When my tires were mounted and balanced they put WAY too much air in them so I aired down to 28 and much better
Tires are rated at 65 max, shop put in 50, and I dropped it to 40. Softer ride but I still have the issues listed above.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

I noticed that my springs look bowed. This might be part of my problem too. What the heck?
Click image for larger version

Name:	springs 002.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	293935Click image for larger version

Name:	springs 001.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	293936
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You solve your wobble yet? And I think your springs are bowed because the axle is shifted because of the lift. Trackbar should fix that.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

I already replaced the track bar with an adjustable one. Axle is now centered. And the springs bow in opposite directions towards the tires. It looks like they start off-center at the top based on where the upper bump stops are inside the springs. I'm wondering if we didn't get them in the right spot in the upper seats.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DGriz
I already replaced the track bar with an adjustable one. Axle is now centered. And the springs bow in opposite directions towards the tires. It looks like they start off-center at the top based on where the upper bump stops are inside the springs. I'm wondering if we didn't get them in the right spot in the upper seats.
And the wobble hasn't happened since I replaced the track bar and used 9/16 bolts, put on new tires, properly seated the bottom of the passenger side spring (it wasn't in the notch) and aligned the front end. I suspect that spring was contributing factor. Now if I can just get the bow corrected I'll be golden (and ready to focus on what mod to do next).
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Nice, you have any pictures with the new tires on?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
Nice, you have any pictures with the new tires on?
Here's a shot from earlier today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1454466037.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	294667
Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

So I've narrowed my next couple of mods to the following:

- Front Lower Control Arms
- Bilstein 5100 shocks

Ride is still pretty rough, a lot more than before the lift and tires. I'm currently using the stock Rubicon shocks w/ extensions. Would Bilsteins soften the ride?

Steering is a little flighty. Jeep moves around on the road at about 40+ mph. Is this the kind of thing the LCAs would correct?

I'm getting some vibration from bigger bumps in the road. Would LCAs or Shocks improve that?

I'm just trying to prioritize my next couple of mods. Any input is welcome.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

I just ordered a pair for 5100s for the front from EA. And nice stance, I'm pretty sure yours is taller even though I have 35s on, lol.

LCAs will take out the flighty feeling, shocks should tone down the vibration. What air pressure are you running? And I didn't notice any flighty after the leveling kit, but when the 35s came on, it feels flighty. Livable for now, but it's annoying.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

I just ordered a pair for 5100s for the front from EA. And nice stance, I'm pretty sure yours is taller even though I have 35s on, lol..
We'll have to get together and compare height sometime. I'd be curious how they compare.

LCAs will take out the flighty feeling, shocks should tone down the vibration. What air pressure are you running? And I didn't notice any flighty after the leveling kit, but when the 35s came on, it feels flighty. Livable for now, but it's annoying
I'm kind of leaning towards LCAs and then shocks next. I'm running 35lbs in the tires so I can drop it down to 30 and see if that helps a little more for now. The vibration over bumps still concerns me though. It could still be my front springs not being seated quite right though. They are still a little off-center at the top. I need to get it up under there and try to fix that soon.

Quick Reply: What's my next mod?