Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What's my next mod?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's my next mod?

My Jeep is my DD and tow rig for our travel trailer. I also use it for an occasional trail run in rocks and/or forest.

I've got the new springs installed that give me between 2" & 3" of lift, front adjustable sway bar links, but I kept the Rubicon shocks and just added extensions. A front adjustable track bar is already at the top of my list and 285/70R17 Falken Wild Peaks will go on in a month, but after that, what should be next on my wish list to give me the best ride?:

Rear Adjustable Sway Bar Links
Rear Adjustable Track Bar
Shocks
Front & Rear Control Arms
HD Stabilizer w/relocation kit
Something else?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you use your Jeep for towing and are planning on bigger tires you might consider gears. Otherwise from your list I'd go with just front lower control arms.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ScottW
Since you use your Jeep for towing and are planning on bigger tires you might consider gears. Otherwise from your list I'd go with just front lower control arms.
Yeah, the gears are something I've thought about. I'm waiting to see how it does with the slightly bigger tires first. Then I'll play with the shift points using my SC Tuner. If I'm still not satisfied, then gears go on the list. For now, however, I'm just thinking suspension.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

I don't think you need adjustable rear swaybar links... just get the proper length for the amount of lift and call it a day. You don't remove them when you wheel anyway for that matter, so the quick disconnects ones would kinda be pointless....

What year is your jeep? The control arms on the JK's are tough enough nowadays, so unless you plan on doing some major rock crawling where you might bang em up a little, I don't think you would need front and rear LCA's. If you are worried about castor, there are other options for that, but again, its your jeep and your money, you spend it how you want.

You run stock wheels? Or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what backspacing are they?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We would be leaning towards high clearance adjustable lower control arms meant for abuse... We might just know a company that makes them. Keep up the good work.

RK
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

Regarding the LCA's, yeah caster was my concern, not the durability of the stock ones.

What about the shocks? Not a priority to replace stock Rubi's with extentions? The stabilizer strut just if needed? Is the front LCA's more important?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
We would be leaning towards high clearance adjustable lower control arms meant for abuse... We might just know a company that makes them. Keep up the good work.

RK
Hey guys, thanks for the input on the LCAs. BTW, I've signed up to win your 2.5 Max Travel System last night. Looks like a nice kit. That would probably cross off most of the things on my wish list.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for ride quality and driveability, the go with the control arms. At least a set of front lowers. I have a 2.5 BB kit and when I did the lower front arms to correct the caster angle, the difference it made was amazing. Next up on your list if you do a lot of towing and highway driving would be gears, but really only needed if you go to a larger size tire. Don't worry about rear adjustable sway bar links, just get longer ones. The other mods you listed are nice, I just think you would benefit from the arms and gears more for what you say you are using the jeep for.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

OK, so I have the 33" tires on and got the front-end aligned. Now, I'm not sure if it's the tires or something else but here's what I'm noticing about my handling:

The wheels seem to follow seams in the road more than I experienced with the stock setup. What might this be from?:
- The new Falkens?
- The short LCAs?
- Something else?

Sometimes bumps in the road will cause extra bounce or vibration, kind of like a ripple effect that fades away, in the front end for a little longer than it should. Not quite "death wobble" because it only lasts a second. Possible causes?:
- Shocks? (I have stock Rubicon shocks with extentions)
- Steering stabalizer shock?
- LCAs?
- Something else?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DGriz
OK, so I have the 33" tires on and got the front-end aligned. Now, I'm not sure if it's the tires or something else but here's what I'm noticing about my handling:

The wheels seem to follow seams in the road more than I experienced with the stock setup. What might this be from?:
- The new Falkens?
- The short LCAs?
- Something else?

Sometimes bumps in the road will cause extra bounce or vibration, kind of like a ripple effect that fades away, in the front end for a little longer than it should. Not quite "death wobble" because it only lasts a second. Possible causes?:
- Shocks? (I have stock Rubicon shocks with extentions)
- Steering stabalizer shock?
- LCAs?
- Something else?

Thanks for the feedback!
What tire pressure u running? When my tires were mounted and balanced they put WAY too much air in them so I aired down to 28 and much better

Quick Reply: What's my next mod?