Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Whats he best winch?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks Teej!!!

This was the most comprehensive explanation about winches I have yet to have with anyone.

Thank you very much!!!

BURNDOG

Originally Posted by TEEJ
What is the minium rated winch needed for JK weight?

__________________________________________________ _________

Well, typically, 1.5 to 2 x the GVWR, which for most JK's the GVWR is 5,400 -5,500 lb.

If we use the 5,500 lb GVWR, and say x 1.5 = 8,250 lb as the minimum winch capacity....so a 9K winch would cover that.

If we said 2x = 11,000 lb, more than the bumpers are rated for, mostly because the FRAME HORNS that the bumpers tie to are designed to crumple/absorb impact, etc...so they can only take so much force w/o buckling.

That means a 9,500 lb winch is as close as you can get to the rating of the bumper mounting system....and to the GVWR related winch rating.

It also means that an 8K winch is a bit light for a JK...but close.

Generally, for winch capacity, you need more power to drag a rig out of sucking mud than you'd believe....this is tow hook snapping time, etc.

To get a rig up and over an obstacle on a steep dirt/rock type trail....not that much power is needed as compared to sucking mud.

The 1.5 x - 2x rating rule of thumb also helps to compensate for the rapid drop in pulling power the winches tend to suffer as the line is taken in, essentially making the effective spool diameter larger, and the effective pulling gearing larger as well, so the more line on the spool, the less power the winch will have.

If you have so much line on the spool that you never play it all out on a recovery, you never pull at the winches rated full capacity.

The best line length compromise between reach range and power range is typically 100 - 125' for most combo's.

Get longer reach for mud, as you need the recovery rig clear of the slippery stuff to not simply be dragged in, etc.

For rock crawl competitions, where a pull may be less than 30', etc...50' of line is considered plenty.

If you wheel with knuckle heads, or are one....and need rescuing on a regular basis...get a tough, reliable winch.

If you wheel with people who have winches, and/or you/they almost never get stuck/need a tug free, etc....then a less reliable winch may be sufficient if it saves enough money to be worth it to you.

If you DO get a cheaper winch meant for occaisonal use...DO heed the cool down period warnings...or you'll burn it out prematurely....pulling to hard or long overheats, and destroys winches. The hydraulic units overheat the power steering pump fluid and the power steering pump stalls out instead of the winch itself in that case. So - if you are patient enough to wait the prescribed times between the prescribed pull periods...the cheapo can give you many years of winching, and be a good value. If you do the "Damn the Torpedoes, FUL STEAM AHEAD!!!!" routine, the winch will not last very long, and not be as good a value.

The T-Max 10K unit is very fast under load, cheap, and the people I know who have them, like them...and the 10k capacity drops fast enough that the little bit over the bumper's rating it pulls would be very short lived, if it did ever occur.

So - I LOVE my Warn 9.5xp.....its a reliable, fast partner....but, its not always the best choice for everyone, as not every one NEEDS that level of performance. (As in, your friends call you at 3AM on Sundays because they're stuck somewhere in the boonies...and need you to save their asses before they freeze them off, etc.)
Old 04-30-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
I'd like to hear what people think of Champion winches. Costco has these for a good price. I've also heard mixed reviews on Superwinch. I'm very interested in this thread

I picked one of these (champion) up to fill the hole in my bumper for the TJ I'm selling.
While I have never used it to pull anything, I was shocked when I had to spool up some slack when I installed it last week. It sounded horrible and was so slow compared to my Warn Ti.....It might last one weekend, if you dont use it.

chuck
Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just got smittybuilt shipped to me from 4 Wheel parts. It looked used and the box was smashed and the winch is broken. I am going to bring it to the store tomorrow to trade for a new one. I hope they dont tell me I need to mail it back, it weighs 85lbs.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

my winch is always free..I just make sure I go wheelin with friends with winches...very cost effective..but when the time comes..you can be sure it will be a warn...you get what you pay for
Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default champion winch

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
I'd like to hear what people think of Champion winches. Costco has these for a good price. I've also heard mixed reviews on Superwinch. I'm very interested in this thread
mrsig has used this winch for sometime. I PM'd him awhile back on this winch as I was looking to purchase one from costco aswell. He wrote back saying he used it often, and it worked.

And ya cant beat the price. Theres a fella wheelin around here with the same on from costco, he has no complaints. I bought one as well. Its in the garage awaiting a bumper.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, the ugly winch debate goes on again. As I have used the heck out of my Superwinch EPi 9 over 70 hard pulls now. It has worked fast, with much less amperage pull than some other brands. Also had not had solonoid problems like I had with the Warns. For my money you cannot beat the Superwinch. I would never hesitate to buy another Superwinch or reccommend it to all that use their winches a lot. I happen to live in an area that has had a hard winter and pulled vehciles out of floods, getting it wet did not hurt it. Also had to pull so many trees out of the road after a tornado ripped thru our area. Saw two Warns that the solonoids failed after their second pull one after noon. I made over 30 pulls that day. Warn is a big name but from the guys that tried to get warranty, they are still waiting on these two Warns. That has been three weeks now. As you can see, I am sold on the Superwinch. 125' of cable, roller fairlead and a 20,000 lb snatch block included and shipping delivered to my house was only $600!! I have a Lod bumper and the fit is perfect! Would be very hard to steal the winch off of this bumper the way the bolts mount too.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have used Warn 8274s for many years now but..... with the XP motor off an XP9500 and modified solenoid pack. Available in the UK from Allbright !
This set up is bomb proof, the XP motor is slightly slower but gives a much greater pull. I guess you end up with a 150ft 10000lb high speed winch
Nick
Old 05-01-2008, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

check out titanwinch.com

great winches... value priced... no shortcuts taken
Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Love my sperwinch 9000#. The Jk is the second vehicle this winch has been bolted to. I am satisfied with the line speed and since installing the lighter synthetic line I do believe it has picked up a little more oommph!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Champion winches came in third at Moab winch shootout.

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353

Quick Reply: Whats he best winch?