Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Whats he best winch?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to add the superwinch comes with 125' of cable.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Depends on what you're looking for. Best winch, or best winch for the money?

Hard to beat a Warn, but for my limited use, I couldn't pass up the cheapo Smitty.

If I wheeled it every weekend, then maybe I'd go with a more proven brand/model.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
Depends on what you're looking for. Best winch, or best winch for the money?

Hard to beat a Warn, but for my limited use, I couldn't pass up the cheapo Smitty.

If I wheeled it every weekend, then maybe I'd go with a more proven brand/model.
True! If money isn't the main concern:

1. Warn
2. Ramsey
3. Superwinch
4. TMax

Relative to money:

1. Smittybilt with series wound motor
2. Ramsey
3. Milemarker
4. Warn
5. TMax
Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Warn 9.5ti or the powerplant. I know when I need to use it , It will work.

David
Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear what people think of Champion winches. Costco has these for a good price. I've also heard mixed reviews on Superwinch. I'm very interested in this thread
Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Psst, read this
Winches In Hell Article

Everyone will tell you their winch is the best, kind of like every ones lift kit is the best because they own it.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

WARN 9.5xp

Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

What is the minium rated winch needed for JK weight?

__________________________________________________ _________

Well, typically, 1.5 to 2 x the GVWR, which for most JK's the GVWR is 5,400 -5,500 lb.

If we use the 5,500 lb GVWR, and say x 1.5 = 8,250 lb as the minimum winch capacity....so a 9K winch would cover that.

If we said 2x = 11,000 lb, more than the bumpers are rated for, mostly because the FRAME HORNS that the bumpers tie to are designed to crumple/absorb impact, etc...so they can only take so much force w/o buckling.

That means a 9,500 lb winch is as close as you can get to the rating of the bumper mounting system....and to the GVWR related winch rating.

It also means that an 8K winch is a bit light for a JK...but close.

Generally, for winch capacity, you need more power to drag a rig out of sucking mud than you'd believe....this is tow hook snapping time, etc.

To get a rig up and over an obstacle on a steep dirt/rock type trail....not that much power is needed as compared to sucking mud.

The 1.5 x - 2x rating rule of thumb also helps to compensate for the rapid drop in pulling power the winches tend to suffer as the line is taken in, essentially making the effective spool diameter larger, and the effective pulling gearing larger as well, so the more line on the spool, the less power the winch will have.

If you have so much line on the spool that you never play it all out on a recovery, you never pull at the winches rated full capacity.

The best line length compromise between reach range and power range is typically 100 - 125' for most combo's.

Get longer reach for mud, as you need the recovery rig clear of the slippery stuff to not simply be dragged in, etc.

For rock crawl competitions, where a pull may be less than 30', etc...50' of line is considered plenty.

If you wheel with knuckle heads, or are one....and need rescuing on a regular basis...get a tough, reliable winch.

If you wheel with people who have winches, and/or you/they almost never get stuck/need a tug free, etc....then a less reliable winch may be sufficient if it saves enough money to be worth it to you.

If you DO get a cheaper winch meant for occaisonal use...DO heed the cool down period warnings...or you'll burn it out prematurely....pulling to hard or long overheats, and destroys winches. The hydraulic units overheat the power steering pump fluid and the power steering pump stalls out instead of the winch itself in that case. So - if you are patient enough to wait the prescribed times between the prescribed pull periods...the cheapo can give you many years of winching, and be a good value. If you do the "Damn the Torpedoes, FUL STEAM AHEAD!!!!" routine, the winch will not last very long, and not be as good a value.

The T-Max 10K unit is very fast under load, cheap, and the people I know who have them, like them...and the 10k capacity drops fast enough that the little bit over the bumper's rating it pulls would be very short lived, if it did ever occur.

So - I LOVE my Warn 9.5xp.....its a reliable, fast partner....but, its not always the best choice for everyone, as not every one NEEDS that level of performance. (As in, your friends call you at 3AM on Sundays because they're stuck somewhere in the boonies...and need you to save their asses before they freeze them off, etc.)

Last edited by TEEJ; 04-30-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
WARN 9.5xp

AYE aye AYE.....

Eh...he just picked a bad line....
Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
I have been looking at the Warn Power Plant.. But I am concerned with weight and its ability to take a bath in some not so clean water every once in a while.

How much more does the Power Plant way say over a 8274-50 (8724 best winch in history IMO) or a 9.5XP/ ti.

Also, do any of you Power Plant users have any temperature issues in your rig from the ginormous winch blocking the radiator?
its pretty heavy.

mine's sunk in my shrock bumper pretty well, so its not blocking the radiator at all, so no issues

i do have a bad sensor in mine, but after talking to Warn they are sending me a new part at no charge. so Warn's customer service is impressive as always

Quick Reply: Whats he best winch?