Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What's a good cordless impact wrench?

Old 03-18-2015, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While working for a Caterpillar dealership we rebuilt six 785 dump beds, amongst other heavy equipment components. Six months of a lot of welding and grinding. Keep in mind the grinders used were plug in style but the IR's (air) and the Milwaukees were far superior to the Dewalts and Rigids. I wouldn't even buy the other brands for my guys.

I believe some of the products will suit the needs of an average end user but if you're going to put the product through its paces then why not spend a little more and get something solid.

And we used all IR pneumatic tools for rebuilding hydraulic cylinders. They could remove the nut holding the piston on for some very large cylinders.

Last edited by Stubicon; 03-18-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubicon
While working for a Caterpillar dealership we rebuilt six 785 dump beds, amongst other heavy equipment components. Six months of a lot of welding and grinding. Keep in mind the grinders used were plug in style but the IR's (air) and the Milwaukees were far superior to the Dewalts and Rigids. I wouldn't even buy the other brands for my guys.

I believe some of the products will suit the needs of an average end user but if you're going to put the product through its paces then why not spend a little more and get something solid.

And we used all IR pneumatic tools for rebuilding hydraulic cylinders. They could remove the nut holding the piston on for some very large cylinders.
Different tools as well change it. Imo grinder go metabo hands down. Years ago bosch and hilti were the top hammer drills out. times change and it all varies on tool type.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Fun fact that many people don't know. Black and Decker makes Dewalt. At least I was surprised when I learned that.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
Different tools as well change it. Imo grinder go metabo hands down. Years ago bosch and hilti were the top hammer drills out. times change and it all varies on tool type.
Very true. My example was a little extreme compared to working on a jeep I will say though, the Dewalt stuff that we had on our field trucks that were battery powered or plug in never seemed to last very long compared to the Milwaukee stuff.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Fun fact that many people don't know. Black and Decker makes Dewalt. At least I was surprised when I learned that.
Yup true fact. Also apex tools makes all gearwrench, craftsman, Armstrong, cresecnt and some other hand tools... Not much is us made anymore sadly.

Last edited by Maertz; 03-18-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Stubicon

Very true. My example was a little extreme compared to working on a jeep I will say though, the Dewalt stuff that we had on our field trucks that were battery powered or plug in never seemed to last very long compared to the Milwaukee stuff.
Yup they switched from us made they dropped a ton of quality. They had a bad spree. Now they switched to mexico I believe and there much better.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Maertz
Just newer tech... Milwaukee 18v as said is pushing 700 on an 18v, almost double. And i agree i like trying others just for experience And personal opinions on each.
Any idea how they did the increase? Double the power with same number of volts, seems odd. Wondering if I can upgrade mine or something. I know not likely.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by DoIBugU2

Any idea how they did the increase? Double the power with same number of volts, seems odd. Wondering if I can upgrade mine or something. I know not likely.
Brushless motor..
Old 03-19-2015, 07:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a related note. We have been in limbo for a while, renting a house for two years following a cross country relocation. I didn't want to invest in a large compressor yet so I bought the cheapy plug in, 1/2" impact driver from Harbor Freight. It works great, and as cheap as it is, I won't care if I fry it out. I think I paid $30 with a coupon. I have had it since September 2012. Used it for my lift, every wheel rotation, bumper install and various other jobs around the house and on my Volvo. Still running strong. I won't hesitate to buy another if this one blows out. I don't care f I have an air line or cord running across the garage. Hell, even my neighbor borrowed it a few times when he did his lift, trailer repair and a few other things. So far, got more than $30 use out of it.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DoIBugU2

Its a computer, the battery and drill all work together, so if it senses that it needs more torque it gives more power to the impact, we just had a product knowledge from millwake at our store, against dewalt and it put that company to shame. And they also said their is no 20volt battery from dewalt and that its a gimmic for more sales. Which is true. But millwakes batterys all have boards in them. That work wuth their tools all of them.

Quick Reply: What's a good cordless impact wrench?