Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What's a good cordless impact wrench?

Old 03-17-2015, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a 3" Teraflex lift on my JKU this weekend with this one: Dewalt 20v 1/2-inch - 400 ft-lbs and I only had to replace the battery at the very end (I probably could have done the whole thing with just one, but swapped it out when we took a break).

Love it, and it had no difficulties cracking loose any of the suspension parts.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7kings
I just put a 3" Teraflex lift on my JKU this weekend with this one: Dewalt 20v 1/2-inch - 400 ft-lbs and I only had to replace the battery at the very end (I probably could have done the whole thing with just one, but swapped it out when we took a break).

Love it, and it had no difficulties cracking loose any of the suspension parts.
That whole 20v stunt is a joke.. There on the same level as others. Ive personally destroyed all drills ive tried except Milwaukee . Metabo lasted about a month. Dewalt and bosch maybe 6 months and this Milwaukee ive had for years so far with no issues. Havent tried them all yet but so far this Milwaukee is a beast from my experience

Last edited by Maertz; 03-17-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
That whole 20v stunt is a joke.. There on the same level as others. Ive personally destroyed all drills ive tried except Milwaukee . Metabo lasted about a month. Dewalt and bosch maybe 6 months and this Milwaukee ive had for years so far with no issues. Havent tried them all yet but so far this Milwaukee is a beast from my experience
Hell - I guess I'll just go throw it in the trash can, then. Thanks for setting me straight...
Old 03-17-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi

Hell - I guess I'll just go throw it in the trash can, then. Thanks for setting me straight...
Im not saying that lol deep breath. Just advising others not to fall for the whole this is more volts bs. Each persons use is different but from what ive seen on the tech side dewalt is always behind. I don't use tons of brands but we repair and warranty all the big manufacturers.

Last edited by Maertz; 03-17-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milwaukee and Makita are solid. Dewalt is up there as well. My buddy has a Hitachi and swears by it. From there, I generally avoid "store brands". Although, something like craftsman, isn't the finest but you can't beat the Sears warranty and ease of exchange.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's Sears comment ....so so true
Old 03-18-2015, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

Im not saying that lol deep breath. Just advising others not to fall for the whole this is more volts bs. Each persons use is different but from what ive seen on the tech side dewalt is always behind. I don't use tons of brands but we repair and warranty all the big manufacturers.
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that Dewalt increased the torque output for this model from 300 to 400 ft-lbs when they changed from 18v to 20v systems, so I don't know that you can really call it bs (unless it's just a really weird coincidence).

I agree that everyone's use is different, but I've generally had good experience with Dewalt and with this impact gun. No issues with lug nuts, track bars, control arms, drive shaft, or anything else, so it's plenty for my purposes.

And disclaimer - I'm not a Dewalt fanboy. I have everything from Ryobi to Craftsman to IR and everything in-between. If the Dewalt lets me down, I'll try something else, but it's good for my purposes so far.

Last edited by 7kings; 03-18-2015 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:37 AM
JK Jedi

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that Dewalt increased the torque output for this model from 300 to 400 ft-lbs when they changed from 18v to 20v systems, so I don't know that you can really call it bs (unless it's just a really weird coincidence).

I agree that everyone's use is different, but I've generally had good experience with Dewalt and with this impact gun. No issues with lug nuts, track bars, control arms, drive shaft, or anything else, so it's plenty for my purposes.

And disclaimer - I'm not a Dewalt fanboy. I have everything from Ryobi to Craftsman to IR and everything in-between. If the Dewalt lets me down, I'll try something else, but it's good for my purposes so far.
Just newer tech... Milwaukee 18v as said is pushing 700 on an 18v, almost double. And i agree i like trying others just for experience And personal opinions on each.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Just newer tech... Milwaukee 18v as said is pushing 700 on an 18v, almost double. And i agree i like trying others just for experience And personal opinions on each.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

I'm telling you guys, none of those are on the level of the IR. The thing can hit 1100 ft.lbs. breaking a nut loose. 780 working torque. As of a year ago, it was more powerful than any 1/2" air impact on the market. Boom!

Quick Reply: What's a good cordless impact wrench?