Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

whats going on...

Old 01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks bro -
Do you know if the dealer did a smoke test on the evap can? I think there is more than one seal...also have you taken a good look at your lift components lately? maybe put a wrench on every bolt and make sure everything is kosher and your steering straight...

one more thing...does your step dad also help with the maintenance on the house?

Old 01-11-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues, sounds like you need a hemi now!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RipperMan
That sucks bro -
Do you know if the dealer did a smoke test on the evap can? I think there is more than one seal...also have you taken a good look at your lift components lately? maybe put a wrench on every bolt and make sure everything is kosher and your steering straight...

one more thing...does your step dad also help with the maintenance on the house?

Hahaha yeah he does :p how could u tell? Hahaha

Yeah I was all up under it this morning . I need to try and tighten it like u said though.

And yes. It's time for a hemi. Or a new rubicon... Even better
Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quote:When i crank my jeep in the mornings it cranks to about 1-1.5k rpm. Shortly after it cranks it starts liek bogging down.(this is totally due to itself i just watch the pegs) and it starts bogging real low and then lower and then lower all the way down till it itles at about .5k Its not like it cranks and makes its way down. It just cranks and then goes up and down like its bogging out more than once.""""

I am hoping that you mean when it starts it runs to 1-1.5k rpm rather than "cranking" which infers the starter is turning the engine that fast. If in fact it "cranks" that fast, you have something serious going on in the valve train as under compression, the starter will not spin an engine this fast. However, I am going to assume this is just the initial idle speed you are referring too. Just had to mention it just in case.

On the driveability issue, many have described a problem with the BLD/ESP kicking in after a lift where the steering wheel was not centered. I would probably eliminate any question by having a knowledable shop align your rig and at least eliminate that as a possible cause.

Hope you find your issues.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeffD
Quote:When i crank my jeep in the mornings it cranks to about 1-1.5k rpm. Shortly after it cranks it starts liek bogging down.(this is totally due to itself i just watch the pegs) and it starts bogging real low and then lower and then lower all the way down till it itles at about .5k Its not like it cranks and makes its way down. It just cranks and then goes up and down like its bogging out more than once.""""

I am hoping that you mean when it starts it runs to 1-1.5k rpm rather than "cranking" which infers the starter is turning the engine that fast. If in fact it "cranks" that fast, you have something serious going on in the valve train as under compression, the starter will not spin an engine this fast. However, I am going to assume this is just the initial idle speed you are referring too. Just had to mention it just in case.

On the driveability issue, many have described a problem with the BLD/ESP kicking in after a lift where the steering wheel was not centered. I would probably eliminate any question by having a knowledable shop align your rig and at least eliminate that as a possible cause.

Hope you find your issues.
yeah idle speed is what i ment. Sorry i was unclear...

Yeah the steering is defenitly off, but from i have been told it "is" aligned, theres just something else that needs to be done that i am unaware of. Im thinking im just gonna go get it aligned anyway agaisnt his wishes to see if that gets it fixed. And then work from there also.

the thing that is killing me is this tick i seem to have taken along with me as of yesterday...its pretty loud, and only when i accelerate....

my jeep my jeep!!! Its falling apart...
Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P Nasty
yeah idle speed is what i ment. Sorry i was unclear...

Yeah the steering is defenitly off, but from i have been told it "is" aligned, theres just something else that needs to be done that i am unaware of. Im thinking im just gonna go get it aligned anyway agaisnt his wishes to see if that gets it fixed. And then work from there also.

the thing that is killing me is this tick i seem to have taken along with me as of yesterday...its pretty loud, and only when i accelerate....

my jeep my jeep!!! Its falling apart...
The steering would definitley set off your ESP/BAS. Thankfully it is very simple to fix. You need a 15mm wrench, a straight road, and some patientience. There is a turnbuckle on your drag link secured by two 15mm bolts, loosen them and turn the turn buckle the appropriate way to shorten or lengthen the drag link (we are talking mm here). Remember that one complete turn of the turnbuckle is equal to about 10degrees on the wheel. You will figure out which way to turn it as you play with it. That will probably address and fix your esp/bas problem, good luck at the dealer with the other issues.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
The steering would definitley set off your ESP/BAS. Thankfully it is very simple to fix. You need a 15mm wrench, a straight road, and some patientience. There is a turnbuckle on your drag link secured by two 15mm bolts, loosen them and turn the turn buckle the appropriate way to shorten or lengthen the drag link (we are talking mm here). Remember that one complete turn of the turnbuckle is equal to about 10degrees on the wheel. You will figure out which way to turn it as you play with it. That will probably address and fix your esp/bas problem, good luck at the dealer with the other issues.
So u think that's all I need to do? Not an allignment? This seems easy and I'll try it at least. But if it turns out I did need an aligment will this had messed of up more?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by P Nasty
So u think that's all I need to do? Not an allignment? This seems easy and I'll try it at least. But if it turns out I did need an aligment will this had messed of up more?
This does not interfere with your alignment....but it does with your ESP. Your wheel needs to be perfectly straight or ESP will go off.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Could you mess it up more....technicaly yes. And I am not trying to be rude, but this is an easy fix and if you mess this up you probably should take it to the professionals. use a marker or some white out to mark it before you start, and give it quarter turn, see if it helps a little, if it is worse you went the wrong way so give a quarter the other way. Took me about 5 adjustments after my lift to get it dead on, just be patient.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

I really didnt mean that to sound rude, I do appologize.

Quick Reply: whats going on...