Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Whats an example of "to heavy on the skinny pedal"?

Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats an example of "to heavy on the skinny pedal"?

See lots of post of guys asking if a D30 will hold up... But the answer always comes back to the skinny pedal

So what is to considered to much??

I see the vids from Project JK out in Moab, and some of those obstacles, they are spinning and barking the tires up inclines or bumping over ledges..... That to much?

Just curious
Old 07-09-2014, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Generally speed and spinning tires is what breaks parts. As you tires are spinning if one catches then your available torque will be transferred to that wheel increasing you chances of breaking something. The ring gear of a D30 will be the weak spot especially if you go to a higher numerical gear. Not saying your D30 can't take some abuse but it depends on gear ratio tires ect. I wheeled a D30 in my Sport with 3.21 and 32's with no problem. Then went with 4.10's and D44 axles. Now running a Rubicon D44 with 4.10's and 37's. I usually use 4 low and go as slow as I can to clear the obstacle or hill if traction is present. There are a few times when you'll need to carry more speed up a hill to keep from stalling out. This should be the exception not the rule. I had a friend run 4.88 with 37's on a D30 with no problems. Just take it easy and don't hammer the gas to clear and obstacle take your time and try to pick a good line over it.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

What breaks a Dana 30 (or just about any axle for that matter) is when a tire that has no traction (spinning or bouncing) suddenly gets traction. A little wheel spin isn't bad but just remember if you are spinning your tires not only are you increasing the chance of breaking but you are burning rubber off of those expensive tries. The other thing that breaks shafts is when an axle is bound up while trying to turn and you give it too much skinny pedal.

I have seen guys bouncing their rigs off the rev limiter and never break a thing, and then I have seen rigs driving through the parking lot break. I am very light on the skinny pedal. I would rather back up and take a different line or pull winch cable than break stuff just because it looks cool or your friends are giving you a hard time for not trying the hard line. I bought a winch for a reason, to use it. I don't get to wheel too often and when I do I want to spend the whole day on the trail not fixing stuff. If I had the money I would put in a bigger front axle but that isn't going to happen any time soon so I need to baby my Dana 30.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Makes sense...

I friend of mine showed me a video of a lady jeeper (that we both knew)

She had a 2012 Sahara.. 35s, regeared... Anyhow she was getting over this ledge, and was on the throttle.. Hard !!

Well, she lost traction and the jeep fell back onto the soft dirt at the base of the ledge. Stopped them tires right quick.. Destroyed that rear diff
Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by duluthjk
What breaks a Dana 30 (or just about any axle for that matter) is when a tire that has no traction (spinning or bouncing) suddenly gets traction. A little wheel spin isn't bad but just remember if you are spinning your tires not only are you increasing the chance of breaking but you are burning rubber off of those expensive tries. The other thing that breaks shafts is when an axle is bound up while trying to turn and you give it too much skinny pedal.

I have seen guys bouncing their rigs off the rev limiter and never break a thing, and then I have seen rigs driving through the parking lot break. I am very light on the skinny pedal. I would rather back up and take a different line or pull winch cable than break stuff just because it looks cool or your friends are giving you a hard time for not trying the hard line. I bought a winch for a reason, to use it. I don't get to wheel too often and when I do I want to spend the whole day on the trail not fixing stuff. If I had the money I would put in a bigger front axle but that isn't going to happen any time soon so I need to baby my Dana 30.
^^^ This ^^^

Quick Reply: Whats an example of "to heavy on the skinny pedal"?