Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What's the best "Final Crawl Ratio"?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the best "Final Crawl Ratio"?

After trips to Moab it became clear that the stock gearing in my Sahara was a bit high for rock crawling, however, the stock gearing was great for general trails & sand.

After some research, I see recommendations that a final crawl ration for rocks of around 100:1 for manual transmissions, and something around 75:1 for automatic transitions.

My 2008 Sahara currently has a crawl ratio of about 28:1. As I already stated, great for trails & sand, but not great on the rocks.

If I added a Rubicrawler under-drive to the Sahara along with 5.13 gears, I get some real advantages of having multiple selectable ratios. With the Rubicrawler and 5.13 gears I new get a 39:1 ratio for trails, and a 107:1 for rocks. While that sounds nice, for an Auto the trail and rock ratios are looking a little low to me. I mean 107:1 with an auto trans seems way too low.

So the question I have is, what advice you all have? Is 107:1 too low for rocks with an auto trans?

Last edited by porters; 08-16-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: What's the best "Final Crawl Ratio"?