Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What's this about steelies

Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's this about steelies

I was at the dealers and talking to the service manager and he told me that if I had him put on some steelies(soft 8's) or similar that he would not warranty my drive-train because they twist and screw up u-joints is this true? He says he has replaced three times on one truck and no more steelies! The rim must have a hub centric design? can someone explain if there is any merit to this statement? I would like to know if I should be putting any faith in this statement or my service manager?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 AM
JK Junkie

The steel wheels have more weight to them. More weight = more stress.

Hub centric means the weight is distributed equally through the hub...no hub centric and the weight is distributed through the bolts.

I think it is a dealer by dealer choice....the dealer up here sells Jeeps with Crager soft 8's on them....they are not hub centric and are steel.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the stockers hub centric???
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BaltChief
The steel wheels have more weight to them. More weight = more stress.

Hub centric means the weight is distributed equally through the hub...no hub centric and the weight is distributed through the bolts.

I think it is a dealer by dealer choice....the dealer up here sells Jeeps with Crager soft 8's on them....they are not hub centric and are steel.
I agree - this is a dealer-specific thing. Just like lifts or other mods: some dealers are willing to play ball and be lenient on what they will and won't cover, whereas others are strictly "by the book" and will give you an earful if you even try to replace your wipers by yourself.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Are the stockers hub centric???
No, they are not. They are "lug centric"....I just found that out the hard way. Which in turn makes it especially important to check your torque specs if you want your rotors to last on these things.

P.S. - What is the actual torque specs for the Moab wheels? I did 100 ft/lbs.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red rcok
I was at the dealers and talking to the service manager and he told me that if I had him put on some steelies(soft 8's) or similar that he would not warranty my drive-train because they twist and screw up u-joints is this true? He says he has replaced three times on one truck and no more steelies! The rim must have a hub centric design? can someone explain if there is any merit to this statement? I would like to know if I should be putting any faith in this statement or my service manager?
The business about the wheels destroying u-joints is just foolish. The axle u-joints on JKs suffer from a “barely adequate” design. When used in off-road applications, like the offroading you would encounter if you were using cheaper steel wheels that will get rock rash, they can fail. The additional traction that bigger tires provide could change the forces the u-joints see and accelerate wear and damage.

The whole thing is just another half baked idea to deny warranty claims.

Hub centric wheels should be replaced with hub centric wheels, but has nothing to do with u-joints.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Default torque spec

someone asked torque spec and it's 95 ftlb
Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eisenjj
I'd have to say BS too! Mopar offers a steel wheel in their brochure for the 2008 accessories for the Wrangler.
Where does one acquire one of these brochures???
Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

if he wants to be an @ss about it, just go to another dealer! I went to another dealer and asked to speak to the service manager. I told him i was looking for a new service department because I wasn't happy with the one i was using and could he help me. 9 out of 10 times, they will be happy to help you and have your business.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer sells steel wheels, in Minnesota lost of people run steelies in the winter to save the expensive suff from the salt they put on the roads. :-(

Quick Reply: What's this about steelies