Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What would be the best way to get a 3" front/2" rear lift + disconnects under $500?

Old 10-07-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be the best way to get a 3" front/2" rear lift + disconnects under $500?

What I'd like to accomplish: lift and level the ride of my currently stock JKU. I'd like 3" lift in front and 2" lift in rear. Eventually (next Summer?) would like to get new front and rear bumpers and a winch. I'd also like to install quick disconnects.

My limitations: I figure I can afford about $500 max on the parts to accomplish this. I'm not sure yet if I'll have to pay for the labor of doing this since I have very limited experience and don't know anyone who's done this work before. In the event I can avoid paying for installation, I'd like to put that money I'd save towards the future mods mentioned above, not fancier lift parts.

A question that just came into my head: would a 3"/2" lift and/or the disconnects require longer brake lines, or is there already enough "extra" line there from the factory to accommodate the increased suspension travel?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Go with a 2.5 coil spacer front, 1.75 rear ( that's under 100) get some jks disco's. Your at about 250 now. Get a set or evo rock star rear skid/shock relo brackets which raises your shock mount 1.5" ( no need to change stock shocks now) this brings you to 400 with the last 100 get some front shock extenders and brake line relocation brackets.
This setup will keep you from needing needing drive shafts and if you want to upgrade you can sell the coil spacers and front shock brackets for within $50 of what you paid for them.

Steve
Old 10-07-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Only special tools you will need for my above suggestion is a torq wrench ( $25 at harbor freight) grinder with cutoff wheel ($20 at harbor freight ). Things you should just have anyway: good set of had tools (1/4 & 3/8 sockets ratchets), jack and jack stands, pry bars, small sledge and a nice set of gear wrenches. If you don't have these basic tools I would say your 500 would be best spent at sears for the hand tools and harbor freight for the less used things like torq wrench, nice jack, jack stands and grinders.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

I would suggest getting some 2.5" front spacers, some 1 3/4 or 2" rear spacers. You can easily get them for $100 all 4 from a member here. I just got rid of my 2.5" TF spacers.

You can make your brake line extension brackets for less than $5 at Lowes or Home Depot.

If you really want discos, JKS seems to have a good following.

If you don't have Rubicon shocks, I would suggest buying some of them ($100 for 4). Then getting a set of shock extenders, TF are easy to get from a fellow member quite cheaply.

Most all of the above can be added from basic hand tools. A torque wrench, if you don't want to buy one, can be loaned from Oriely's or Autozone and you'll get your money back when you return.

Last edited by Delux2769; 10-07-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imo- skip the discos. Do it manually and save 100- 140.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a 3 "lift front go with teraflex. Most lifts are set to be level so with that being said you get 3"up front and say 2"in the rear and that's it. Save yourself a lots of problems.kit comes with extra components that are necessary. don't do it wrong the first time.also you need front drive shaft if you go over 3" with an auto. Good luck

Last edited by gunbo75; 10-07-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: What would be the best way to get a 3" front/2" rear lift + disconnects under $500?