Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which one?
Smittybilt XRC10
47.37%
Ramsey Rep 8.5e
18.95%
Superwinch LP 8500
33.68%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

What Winch

Old 10-22-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't compare as this is my first winch. Have used it lots and it works great. I know i'm not suposed to but i read the manual and it said if it was to hot to touch, let it cool a bit. It doesn't take long to get hot but i'd rather wait a bit than have my winch crap out.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bazetthound
Just to clear things up for whoever needs it... Ramsey winches are MADE IN THE USA. Read the following quote for more details:

WHY CHOOSE A RAMSEY WINCH?
All Ramsey designs evolve from field experience. Ramsey is the “Standard” in the towing and recovery market among those who count on a winch every day to earn a living! In fact, 9 out of 10 tow truck operators demand Ramsey over any other winch. The same industrial design practices are used in all of our self-recovery automotive winches. Better still, it is backed by Ramsey’s 60 years of winch expertise and covered by their limited Lifetime Warranty.

Ramsey Winches are quality products made in the USA! Many winch brands that pretend to be from the USA or Australia are actually made in China. Some winch manufacturers have begun focusing more and more on bells and whistles that add cost but do little in the real world. Ramsey remains committed and focused on what matters most, a bullet-proof, brute strength, premium quality winch you can depend on day-in and day-out for a long...long time.
I am actually very interested in the Ramsey winch, but just wanted to point out that the warranty is misleading for this particular winch. The winch listed above is the electric version and from Ramsay's website:

"Electrical components consisting of motors, solenoids, wiring, wire connectors and associated parts carry a 1-year limited warranty. Battery isolators carry a 90-day limited warranty. An optional extended 2-year limited warranty for all electrical components may be purchased."

So essentially the system creating the drive for this winch is under a similar limited warranty as the other comparable priced units.

Last edited by JKCobra; 10-22-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The superwinch lp8500 should not even in this poll, it should be in the TRASH, they are junk. If you cant afford a Warn, I would go with the Smittybilt XRC10, I actually got the XRC comp 10 to replace that piece of $hit lp8500.

Quick Reply: What Winch