Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which one?
Smittybilt XRC10
47.37%
Ramsey Rep 8.5e
18.95%
Superwinch LP 8500
33.68%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

What Winch

Old 04-24-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Superwinch 9.0 EPi. Same warranty as the Warn. I have not had expierence with the LP 8500, but I am very happy with my 9.0.

I did have an issue with a kink in my line and Superwinch sent me a replacement, no questions asked and let me keep my other line as a spare. Excellent customer service, hard to find in todays world.

My vote is for the Superwinch.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Of the 3 listed, which has the fastest line speed? Speed helps A LOT in many situations. I have seen some SLOW winches. and they can really hinder what you are trying to do I'm a Warn Guy, but I know the Ramsey makes a good product.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hohokom
Did someone forget a company called Warn. I realize they are more money, but there is a reason for that. With that said, good luck on your decision.
I don't think warn makes anything in that price range...
I've got a PowerPlant waiting for new bumper...
Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default what winch

I am curious myself. New member here just starting to add upgrades to my jeep. Labrador can you contact me, I have a few questions for you. I have the same truck but in black. Question about your suspension and tires on your Jeep.

Thank you
Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to be another one of the crowd with a "mail-in" vote for Warn.

If your budget will not stretch to cover a big red "W", then a Tabor is not a bad place to start.

If you can find a user Warn (especially an 8274) you're in good shape.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an XRC8 and yes it works, but I am on my 2nd one and about to have to return it for a third. (My wife bought a lifetime warranty for the winch so if it breaks I can take it back to 4WP and get another one, but I have to pay $35 to add the warranty to the replacement winch.) I am seriously considering selling the next one to a buddy and getting something different.

The problem I am having with them is minor but annoying. The lever on the winch that allows it to free spool out keeps getting jammed so I have to power the winch out and back in.

I am proof that you get what you pay for.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
WARN is tried and true... but honestly other companies have come a long long way for half the price. Just a FYI tabor winches are rebranded WARN for less
Does "rebranded" mean "refurbished"....??? Never heard the term rebranded before......unless we're talkin' bout cattle....lol
Old 04-24-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Re-branded would refer to a product (winch in this case) that is made by one company and sold under another name. I.E. some winches are made by a large company in China and some firms buy winches from that company (as they don't develop winches) and slap their name on them.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'd rather have an 8500 lb Ramsey w/ a limited lifetime warranty.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green
I think I'd rather have an 8500 lb Ramsey w/ a limited lifetime warranty.

I have verified that a company in China called CN Winch makes most of the winches referred to here, including Ramsey. So when you buy different brands you are buying customer service and a name brand. The winches are basically all the same when you compare apples to apples. I can not justifying paying double some some brands. One should not need customer service that offen to justify the price different.

I am off to research Warn and Tabor to find out where they are made. I just have a feeling they are made the same place as well.

Quick Reply: What Winch