Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What will shock extensions gain me?

Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will shock extensions gain me?

Have an 07 2 door X with a TF leveling kit and JKU springs running 33's

I was fortunate enough to have another member donate his Rubi shocks to me and am wondering if I should put extensions on them, but i'm just wondering what I will gain.
Would the ride be any different? Will all I gain is a bit of flex? I'm also assuming i'll need new bumpstops if I do buy them.

Thanks guys
Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

From what. I was told at my 4x4 shop,is if your running stock shocks, with any lift and no extensions to compensate for the lift, your risking distroying the shocks when fully extended. Idk how true it is, but I know I'm just going to replace mine when I lift.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
with a leveling kit, not really neccessary. longer shock will provide a lil more flex tho
Well, from my understanding the leveling kit add's 2" to the front, and I also have unlimited springs which bounced it up about another .25 to .5", thus bringing the front about 2.5" higher, the front extensions are 2.5" extensions... wouldn't this in effect allow the stock x/rubi shock to operate within their normal range?

Also from what I understand, the rear lift of a leveling kit raises about an inch, add a tad more for the JKU springs, however the rubi rear shocks are a bit longer than the stock rear X shocks, so i shouldn't need extensions for the rear, just the front
Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Namtaru
...thus bringing the front about 2.5" higher, the front extensions are 2.5" extensions... wouldn't this in effect allow the stock x/rubi shock to operate within their normal range?
This is my understanding as well....allowing them to operate within their normal range and if fully flexed out, allowing them to extend the extra 2.5".
Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running this exact setup. Have the shock extensions to allow for a little more flex and Rubi shocks.

I have added some hockey pucks for bumpstops due to rubbing while fully stuffed.

I am happy with this setup
Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
I am running this exact setup. Have the shock extensions to allow for a little more flex and Rubi shocks.

I have added some hockey pucks for bumpstops due to rubbing while fully stuffed.

I am happy with this setup
Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: What will shock extensions gain me?