Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What welder do i need?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FCAW does have it's place, that's for sure, and with the addition of FCAW wires that utilize Argon based shielding gases, I believe they are going to be used more widely in the future (less fume, and spatter).

For the discussion here, I think the audience should know that you are mentioning dual shielded (Gas and Flux)FCAW wires, not the self shielded wires that most people at the garage level are familiar with.

Also I'm only familiar with FCAW wire down to .045" which might be a bit large for the jeep related jobs, and the machines they have at home. I'll have to pull up an operation range matrix and take a look., and see what other diameters (smaller) are avaiable.

Also for what it's worth Hobart and Miller are both ITW companies so some of the technology between the powersuppies are similar, Miller equipment usually has a few more bells and whistles however (rheostats vs. switchs for example).
Old 03-18-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Looks like Miller does recommend .045" FCAW (dual shielded) down to 3/32" in material thickness.

And the voltage and current should easily be with in the range of the smaller machines.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...calculator.php
Old 03-18-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wnyjpgy
Looks like Miller does recommend .045" FCAW (dual shielded) down to 3/32" in material thickness. And the voltage and current should easily be with in the range of the smaller machines. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...calculator.php
That link is great, thank you.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

To help ballpark settings, Miller and Lincoln both have welding apps you can download to give a good starting point for machine settings.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

Ringer,

I see your from the Cleveland area, you don't work at Lincoln do you? I took my CWI exam there about 4 years ago, and have been to their automation building for robotic training in the past (I'm a welding engineer for a company in Buffalo, NY). I assume the "Hooley House" isn't too far from you? I can't remeber the other Irish bar I was in...

Back on topic...

For those that are new to welding Ringer is right Lincoln and Miller both have alot of information available. If your interested in welding, do some research, and practice. I have attached a good link for GMAW welding basics, and some arc theory as well.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...L-50/c4200.pdf
Old 03-19-2015, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ringer,

I see your from the Cleveland area, you don't work at Lincoln do you? I took my CWI exam there about 4 years ago, and have been to their automation building for robotic training in the past (I'm a welding engineer for a company in Buffalo, NY). I assume the "Hooley House" isn't too far from you? I can't remeber the other Irish bar I was in...

Back on topic...

For those that are new to welding Ringer is right Lincoln and Miller both have alot of information available. If your interested in welding, do some research, and practice. I have attached a good link for GMAW welding basics, and some arc theory as well.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...L-50/c4200.pdf
Adding to this, Miller has a book on GMAW, which is about the best one out there (highly recommend it). Perfect for someone just getting started or someone not formally trained. Some stuff may seem dated, but there will be a time when you are glad you know about things like adjusting inductance
Old 03-19-2015, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ringer, I see your from the Cleveland area, you don't work at Lincoln do you? I took my CWI exam there about 4 years ago, and have been to their automation building for robotic training in the past (I'm a welding engineer for a company in Buffalo, NY). I assume the "Hooley House" isn't too far from you? I can't remeber the other Irish bar I was in... Back on topic... For those that are new to welding Ringer is right Lincoln and Miller both have alot of information available. If your interested in welding, do some research, and practice. I have attached a good link for GMAW welding basics, and some arc theory as well. http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...L-50/c4200.pdf
Haha, no I do not. I am an avid hobby welder, but I did take Lincoln's weld school for fun a few years ago.

Quick Reply: What welder do i need?