Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What welder do i need?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringer
This welder does not have enough amperage for proper penetration in 1/4", and is questionable on 3/16. 1/4" should be welded with 170-190 amps. This welder puts out nowhere near enough.
I get great penetration on 3/16" with little time adjusting to get there. Haven't a need for 1/4" yet.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supton96
Can I get away with using a flux-core welder for basic jeep related welding?
Flux-core is a stronger welding process than solid wire, so don't toss it out the window. Only TIG can match the fusion and penetration. Flux-core is what they use in most heavy structural applications (buildings, ships, etc.). On a given machine, flux-core can provide more amperage than solid wire (if you look at the chart of a given welder you will see that to weld the thickest metal, it is with flux-core). The downside as Ringer noted, is that the weld is not as aesthetically pleasing and requires the additional step of slag removal.

The other issue is that flux-core is not as forgiving to the novice welder. The big one that most people don't know is that flux-core can only be run in a push motion, not a pull. Stick out needs to be better dialed in and needs to be consistent as you move along. Welder settings need to be dialed in tighter as well to produce an optimal weld.

On the positive side, it bites hard. Certain flux-core wire welds very well uphill vertical. Lastly, you don't need a gas nozzle, which will allow you to get into much tighter spaces. I recently used it for just that reason. I'd rather a good penetrating not great looking flux-core weld vs. a nice looking no fusion solid wire weld.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fredrok
I get great penetration on 3/16" with little time adjusting to get there. Haven't a need for 1/4" yet.
So what makes you think this? How are you determining that you have proper penetration? Single pass or multiple?
Adjusting? On that welder for 3/16 it better be on full amperage. 3/16 welds great at about 150+ amps, which is more than this welder is capable of. You know that welder is only rated at 90amp for a 20% duty cycle.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ringer
So what makes you think this? How are you determining that you have proper penetration? Single pass or multiple? Adjusting? On that welder for 3/16 it better be on full amperage. 3/16 welds great at about 150+ amps, which is more than this welder is capable of. You know that welder is only rated at 90amp for a 20% duty cycle.
Exactly. I can run some sweet looking cold lapped welds.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:53 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Flux-core is a stronger welding process than solid wire, so don't toss it out the window. Only TIG can match the fusion and penetration. Flux-core is what they use in most heavy structural applications (buildings, ships, etc.). On a given machine, flux-core can provide more amperage than solid wire (if you look at the chart of a given welder you will see that to weld the thickest metal, it is with flux-core). The downside as Ringer noted, is that the weld is not as aesthetically pleasing and requires the additional step of slag removal.

The other issue is that flux-core is not as forgiving to the novice welder. The big one that most people don't know is that flux-core can only be run in a push motion, not a pull. Stick out needs to be better dialed in and needs to be consistent as you move along. Welder settings need to be dialed in tighter as well to produce an optimal weld.

On the positive side, it bites hard. Certain flux-core wire welds very well uphill vertical. Lastly, you don't need a gas nozzle, which will allow you to get into much tighter spaces. I recently used it for just that reason. I'd rather a good penetrating not great looking flux-core weld vs. a nice looking no fusion solid wire weld.

So some clarification. Flux-core is not a stronger weld process with better fusion and pen than solid wire. Both have good pen. Solid will have better pen in the weld root, flux-core in the side walls with a more even distribution in the weld body. Both techs can be used to create very strong welds if done correctly. The home machine will produce just as good a weld with both if done correctly, you just need to use the correct procedure for each.

In the heavy construction industry it is all about costs, i.e. lbs/hr that the welder can produce. Therefore a gas shielded flux core is more common as it will produce the highest output. The average man at home is not bothered about time costs.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ade
So some clarification. Flux-core is not a stronger weld process with better fusion and pen than solid wire. Both have good pen. Solid will have better pen in the weld root, flux-core in the side walls with a more even distribution in the weld body. Both techs can be used to create very strong welds if done correctly. The home machine will produce just as good a weld with both if done correctly, you just need to use the correct procedure for each. In the heavy construction industry it is all about costs, i.e. lbs/hr that the welder can produce. Therefore a gas shielded flux core is more common as it will produce the highest output. The average man at home is not bothered about time costs.
I disagree. Solid wire run using spray transfer is acceptable, not running short circuit. How can I back that up? The AWS (American Welding Society) who sets the standards and codes does not include short circuit as a qualified process. What that means is that for structural welding of steel (1/8" thick or greater), it is not an approved process. That is due to its lack of consistency with fusion. Really, it is not a good welding process and flux-core will outperform it all day long.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:15 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

I disagree. Solid wire run using spray transfer is acceptable, not running short circuit. How can I back that up? The AWS (American Welding Society) who sets the standards and codes does not include short circuit as a qualified process. What that means is that for structural welding of steel (1/8" thick or greater), it is not an approved process. That is due to its lack of consistency with fusion. Really, it is not a good welding process and flux-core will outperform it all day long.
As I said "If done correctly". Run the correct amps with the correct gas mix and you will have spray transfer. AWS codes were not written with the home welder in mind, completely different playing field.

The thread is about the average home wrencher builder, not somebody wanting to do certified ship building welds, you would get laughed off site if you turned up with a little 110V or 220V home welder for one.

Anyway, enjoy chipping off your slag.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt my HH140 was ok on 3/16 only if using fluxcore. Only good for 1/8" using solid wire and gas. I sectioned some t-joints welding with both processes and fluxcore was deeper but I'm nowhere near a professional by any means. I felt that fluxcore was easier to weld overhead and in awkward positions.

That said - Now that I have a welder with a little poop, I'll likely never use fluxcore again. Unless I'm maybe welding a bunch outside.

I resisted and was hesitant about stepping up to a 220V. I'm glad I did! Get a multi-voltage unit and you're set if you need the flexibility. That 211 is a sweet deal. Spend another 400 in accessories and you get another 200 back in rebate!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

Wow...A D1.1 reference....Nice.....
Old 03-18-2015, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wnyjpgy
Wow...A D1.1 reference....Nice.....
When going to school for welding, you learn pretty fast that 80%-90% of the learning process happens in the classroom and not in the welding lab. The guy I studied/study under is a PhD and weld engineer in the auto industry. He would always say that he could teach a dog to lay beads - that's the easy part. The real value comes from things such as understanding how different gasses and deoxidizers change the weld and the base metal at a molecular level. Even proper fusion does not mean the weld is structurally sound.

Anyway, FCAW in the consumer world has somehow earned a bad reputation. It is a misunderstood and undervalued process.

Quick Reply: What welder do i need?