Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What welder to buy

Old 03-10-2016, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
forum member "wildace" did his 1-ton axle swap using 120/flux core...... ----> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...d-swap-275195/ ....good for 1/4". You don't "have" to go 220... Lincoln Work-Pak https://www.weldingmart.com/reconditioned-work-pak-125
I just had a bit of a debate or argument if you will on another forum with ringer on the subject of welding c gussets with a 120v. Although it's not ideal, I say it can be done and has been done with great results. I also mentioned that since it's not an actual load bearing piece structurally in normal use that even if full penetration wasn't present it should be fine. He disagreed entirely and said that my thoughts were entirely incorrect. Take that as you will. I'm not an engineer or welding inspector but that was just my thoughts.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started on flux and an much happier with 75/25. To me welding on gas is smoother, has a better sound and leaves much less spatter. Also I didn't care for the fumes from the FC wire....
Old 03-10-2016, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I go further I will say I have a 220 miller with mixed gas that I never would
worry about the welds it lays down. It has served me well welding everything from my truss, building a car trailer, to odd jobs. With that said, a 110 will flux core will do everything you need without a problem if you know what your doing. I second the advice about taking a class at you local community college if you have one close.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:03 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I just had a bit of a debate or argument if you will on another forum with ringer on the subject of welding c gussets with a 120v. Although it's not ideal, I say it can be done and has been done with great results. I also mentioned that since it's not an actual load bearing piece structurally in normal use that even if full penetration wasn't present it should be fine. He disagreed entirely and said that my thoughts were entirely incorrect. Take that as you will. I'm not an engineer or welding inspector but that was just my thoughts.

I respect Ringer's input. My intent isn't/wasn't to start a piss match but just to let the OP know that 120 has been used for something extensive as a 1-ton sas (solid axle swap) front + rear with success. I agree though, if you can do 220 it is preferred BUT 120/flux has been used with success as well.

all around
Old 03-10-2016, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lord. This is an art and gets confusing. At least I want to melt C gussets and control arm brackets to the jk.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by crazybones340
My lord. This is an art and gets confusing. At least I want to melt C gussets and control arm brackets to the jk.
There's always super glue and gorilla tape
Old 03-11-2016, 01:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
I respect Ringer's input. My intent isn't/wasn't to start a piss match but just to let the OP know that 120 has been used for something extensive as a 1-ton sas (solid axle swap) front + rear with success. I agree though, if you can do 220 it is preferred BUT 120/flux has been used with success as well. all around
I fully understand your intentions and I hope mine didn't come across skewed. I too wasn't trying to say whether either of us was right/wrong. I was just giving my view on what I thought, and gave his view as he is more knowledgable on the subject than I. More or less my intention was that he was correct in that a 120v welder shouldn't be used for things of that nature but it has been with success and the reason why I thought it has.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also just use a stock properly rated extension cord and make yourself an adapter. That's what I had to do because I have another 220V tool with a different plug. My issue was the reverse of yours where my welder has a drier type plug and my 220V socket was different. One of these days I'll get around to mounting it on the cart. And I use a Lincoln 180HD which I love.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	220V Adapter (Medium).JPG
Views:	337
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	640281  

Last edited by 14Sport; 03-11-2016 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by crazybones340
I don't know how to weld currently, but I want to learn. I am planning on getting scrap steel to practice on. My question is what would be the ideal welder to buy for welding c gussets. Trusses control arm brackets? Any advice is appreciated
Just a heads up. Look out for incompatibility with AEV brackets and C gussets. On my 3.5" the gussets would have to be cut up to fit. Reason why I don't have C gussets.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I were you I would get a dual voltage welder (110 and 220). Miller and Lincoln make them. If you have the money there are a few MP (multi-process) machines that are badass. Lincoln has one. I can't remember the model number off the top of my head. With this unit you can mig, tig, and I believe ARC. I bought a Millermatic 211 (Miller obviously) and love it. It is 110 and 220. I usually leave it plugged into 220, but if I have some thinner metal to weld I use 110 as the 220 will just blow through it. I like the 110 also because it makes it somewhat portable. I've taken to my parents home to do a couple small projects and I've taken it to a lot where a trailer needed some welding.

Quick Reply: What welder to buy