Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What welder to buy

Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have learned a lot listening to you guys. Carry on.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazybones340
I'm going to try this. Of course I will converse with my local home Depot guy first. I wanna be safe
I would greatly advise to try and find a local welding shop rather than a Home Depot or lowes. You'll find a lot more knowledge and often times better customer service, as well as its much easier for warranty claims. If you can swing it, purchase an argon tank. 75/25 would be what you want. If you don't have the initial funds, welding shops often lease tanks for a small fee. You'll find it 1000000x easier welding with shielding gas as compared to flux core.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Hmm. If you're referring to pop as in the breaker tripping, it sounds like nuisance tripping. We're the breakers you experienced the tripping AFCI/GFCI breakers? Do you know the amperage rating? If it's a new house in one of the quick built culdesac type neighborhoods they are usually built to the minimal code standards and are often furnished with 15 amp receptacle circuits.
I am not sure on the AFCI/GFCI question, but yea they were all quick built types. Buddies house was too. Other house was an apartment with a garage. Mine was built in 2014. Corners were cut! There was one phone line jack in the whole house. In the kitchen.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TweakJK
I am not sure on the AFCI/GFCI question, but yea they were all quick built types. Mine was built in 2014. Corners were cut!
That's a big problem with those developments. It wouldn't take much to run a dedicated 20 amp receptacle from the panel though.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Plugs and receptacles (outlets) use a standard nema rating system. Depending on what your welder's manufacturer suggests will be how you determine the receptacle needed. Example is a 3 prong connector that's made for 240v 50amp would need a nema 6-50R receptacle to plug into.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:22 PM
DJ1
Former Member

forum member "wildace" did his 1-ton axle swap using 120/flux core......
----> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...d-swap-275195/

....good for 1/4". You don't "have" to go 220...

Lincoln Work-Pak
https://www.weldingmart.com/reconditioned-work-pak-125
Old 03-10-2016, 06:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mig

Shielding has such as Argon or helium is ideal for welding but for a garage welder just doing odd projects from time to time. I think it's a lot of expense buying tank regulators a tank flow meters etc... Is a little excessive for what he's doing. IMO... Yes do 220v in all cases like stated above. The great thing about welding is the more you do it the better you get. So take your time learn the proper techniques and just know it's going to be ugly until you get the hang of it.

Good luck. Make sure you don't skimp on the helmet a good Autodimmer Gos a long way welding jacket is also a good idea.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jacket

I like the green jackets. I feel like a Surgeon operating when I'm welding....😅
Old 03-10-2016, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Shielding has such as Argon or helium is ideal for welding but for a garage welder just doing odd projects from time to time. I think it's a lot of expense buying tank regulators a tank flow meters etc... Is a little excessive for what he's doing. IMO... Yes do 220v in all cases like stated above. The great thing about welding is the more you do it the better you get. So take your time learn the proper techniques and just know it's going to be ugly until you get the hang of it. Good luck. Make sure you don't skimp on the helmet a good Autodimmer Gos a long way welding jacket is also a good idea.
I agree it's not necessary that's why I said if the funds are available. It's not too much more of an expense especially if you get one second hand off craigslist or the such. Most stores simply swap out tanks for refills unless you specifically want your tank back.
Solid wire is also about half the price of flux core. Flux core does have its benefits though as its much better to weld dirty and in less-than-ideal environments such as in a driveway with the wind blowing.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the Hobart Handler 210 MVP. I've built bumpers, sliders and whatever else I've needed. Made a 1/4 winch plate last weekend, no problem at all.

Quick Reply: What welder to buy