Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What welder to buy

Old 03-10-2016, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
Any thing will work, really. It's better to have a 220v welder to get more penetration (hehe...penetration). 120v doesn't have as much amperage to really burn them in, but not every house has 220v ports. Lincoln and Miller are good companies. SMAW (stick) is probably the easiest to learn on, but GMAW (MIG) is better for doing actual work with it. GTAW (TIG) is best left to the pros for the pretty blue, purple and gold welds. If you're welding a truss, you'll have to preheat the cast iron center section and wrap it in welding blankets to slow the cooling down, and get special wire for cast. Welding on an axle is tricky business for a newbie though. I would practice puddles first, then beads, then fusing two pieces of steel together, then try to break it to see how good of a job you did.
The center section is cast steel, not iron. Many preheat and post heat, I didn't feel it was necessary and it's held up great. Mig welding is a lot easier to learn on than stick. Much more versatile and forgiving. I have a Lincoln powermig 180c. I love it. Go with a 220v and whichever brand you prefer or if you have a local welding shop whichever they run as it will be easy to get something fixed if it breaks. Infinity speed/voltage controls is awesome to have once you start getting decent. Makes dialing in a bead much nicer. If I were in the market for a welder, and each time I go to my local shop to get my tank refilled (they have my 108c and the 210 power mig in the entrance) I would definitely get the Lincoln 210. It's dual voltage 120/240, it's mig/tig/stick. Nasty machine.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dryer is 220. Can I use that?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TweakJK
Dont waste your time on a 110v mig.

A. Most home breakers cant handle a 110v mig anyways, so you are going to have to do work. Might as well spend $20 installing a 220v outlet 2 feet below your garage breaker panel.

B. a 110v mig lacks the penetration needed to do 90% of the things you will be doing to a jeep, welding to the axle, welding to the frame, and building a cage.

C. It is so much nicer running a 220v at 50%, than a 110v at 100% and hoping it holds.

I did all my work with a Hobart 210MVP. Worked great and I never doubted the strength of my welds.
I'm going with 220. Can I use my dryer plug?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Dont waste your time on a 110v mig. A. Most home breakers cant handle a 110v mig anyways, so you are going to have to do work. Might as well spend $20 installing a 220v outlet 2 feet below your garage breaker panel. B. a 110v mig lacks the penetration needed to do 90% of the things you will be doing to a jeep, welding to the axle, welding to the frame, and building a cage. C. It is so much nicer running a 220v at 50%, than a 110v at 100% and hoping it holds.
Agreed, but, what makes you believe most home breakers can't handle a 120v welder? That's nonsense.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazybones340
I'm going with 220. Can I use my dryer plug?
Yes. Go to home depot or whatever and make yourself a long extension cord if you need to.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Agreed, but, what makes you believe most home breakers can't handle a 120v welder? That's nonsense.
Maybe not most homes. Though I've seen quite a few that are running 15amp breakers and 14ga wire instead of 20amp and 12ga. I wouldn't run a welder on the former.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
NEW homes. At least in DFW. I always find it funny when someone calls something that I have seen with my own two eyes "nonsense". Its like B.O.B. telling Scott Kelley that the earth is flat.

weld a bit POP.

weld some more POP.

The hobart handler 140 requires a 20A breaker. Guess what most of these houses have. a 20A breaker.

Last edited by TweakJK; 03-10-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

I'm going to try this. Of course I will converse with my local home Depot guy first. I wanna be safe
Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazybones340
I'm going to try this. Of course I will converse with my local home Depot guy first. I wanna be safe
Eh they most likely will have no clue what you are talking about. Lemme see if I can find you a writeup.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...xtension-cord&

Here you go. Keep in mind that there are many different 220v plug shapes. Be sure and get the right one for your application.

Last edited by TweakJK; 03-10-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

NEW homes. At least in DFW. weld a bit POP. weld some more POP.
Hmm. If you're referring to pop as in the breaker tripping, it sounds like nuisance tripping. We're the breakers you experienced the tripping AFCI/GFCI breakers? Do you know the amperage rating? If it's a new house in one of the quick built culdesac type neighborhoods they are usually built to the minimal code standards and are often furnished with 15 amp receptacle circuits.

Quick Reply: What welder to buy