Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What type of Skid Plates?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
The only skids I have added are the Rancho Oil Pan Skid and the Poison Spyder Evap Skid.

The Evap Skid has already paid for itself as there are scratches on it......some people relocate....I chose to skid it up!
I did the same setup. I also put on EVO Rockstars (more for the clearance) and have a set of front CA skids to go on. Need to get off my butt and get some C-gussets and I'll put them on at the same time.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the full River Raider setup. Have already heard them getting some use.
Not the greatest pics but here ya go.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mtod
I'm looking at a set of skid plates for my 2011 unlimited.

I have narrowed it down to 2 companies.

River Raider riverraider.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products _id=128

Or

Rock Hard http://rockhard4x4parts.com/jk-skids.html

I'm interested in what others are using if any.
I'm still trying to decide between those same two setups myself. I was almost sold on the River Raider ones, especially for the price. But I wheeled with a buddy who has the RockHard skids, and I do like how the oil pan skid covers a little bit more than the RR's do. You just have to ask if that additional protection is worth the $200 between the two setups.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
I have the river raider oil/transmission skids. They are mated to the stock transfer case skid. I agree with moderator, just get an oil pan skid as necessary- the rest are luxuries.
How hard was mounting the oil pan skid?

Looks like there are a few bolts attached to the block.

One concern I have is if the oil pan skid takes a hit it will transfer that engery to the block and not the frame.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigljking
As the others have pointed out the stock skids are more than adequate. I personally went with the Rockhard skids because I liked the added coverage they provided. I have the oil pan tranny and evap skids from rockhard. I like that the rockhard skids cover up the catalytic converters and the riverraiders don't.
The rock hard oil pan skid covers the bottom of the engine do you have any issues with the engine over heating?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

One concern I have is if the oil pan skid takes a hit it will transfer that engery to the block and not the frame.
The only hard part is to use a little sticky goo to hold the included washers onto the engine mount prior to aligning the oil skid up. The way it's designed, the force would be distributed all around and into the frame and crossmember. It is very heavy duty and the way it connects to the tran skid includes a tubular synthetic gasket that bridges the 2 parts without any noise and prevents binding.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

One bolt does go to the block - the 3 others go to the motor mounts. I wrestled with the same thing for a bit, but the covereage they offer for the price won out for me. The install itself is not bad overall, but the detail in the directions is lacking..
If you got the other skids too, you would need to drill (2) 1/2" holes in the crossmember and cut away about and 1" from the factory gas tank skid.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't had any issues with over heating at all. The install was a bit of a pita because the directions weren't very clear. I've dropped it right on the skids and haven't had any issues. They are pretty rugged.

Quick Reply: What type of Skid Plates?