Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What type of Skid Plates?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of Skid Plates?

I'm looking at a set of skid plates for my 2011 unlimited.

I have narrowed it down to 2 companies.

River Raider riverraider.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products _id=128

Or

Rock Hard http://rockhard4x4parts.com/jk-skids.html

I'm interested in what others are using if any.

Last edited by sm_rubi; 11-30-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Please refrain from posting direct links to companies who are not sponsors of Project-JK.com.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Stock plates here (except oil pan, rear chock pods and front control arms).

Did you already trash your stock ones?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joe002
Stock plates here (except oil pan, rear chock pods and front control arms).

Did you already trash your stock ones?
No just looking ahead the stock ones are very thin and I'm not planning to lift my Jeep very much.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mtod
No just looking ahead the stock ones are very thin and I'm not planning to lift my Jeep very much.
Maybe they changed them on the 2011, but they really aren’t bad on the 2008. You could always wheel it a bit and see if/which skids don’t hold up to your type of wheeling then upgrade as necessary.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

the stock skids have served me well. i have the rock hard engine/tranny skid because i felt that the protection was needed, but everything else is stock. the gas tank skid is pretty battered, but none have failed. i have run many blue and a few black trails on my stock suspension and tires, so they've been used quite a bit. i'd go with some LCA skids tho. mine are looking a little rough
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

they may be thin and they may get beat up but, as mentioned, the stock skids are all you really need. god knows that i have been pounding away on our factory skids and they still do their job just fine. in fact, in almost 4 years, i have yet to see or hear of a single instance where a factory skid plate failed. being that the JK doesn't come with any protection for the oil pan, i would recommend something small like the rancho skid or benchmark HD oil pan but really, that's all you need.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

before the naysayers come on to suggest otherwise, here's a shot of the kind of trails i play on...

Last edited by wayoflife; 11-30-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

As the others have pointed out the stock skids are more than adequate. I personally went with the Rockhard skids because I liked the added coverage they provided. I have the oil pan tranny and evap skids from rockhard. I like that the rockhard skids cover up the catalytic converters and the riverraiders don't.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

I have the river raider oil/transmission skids. They are mated to the stock transfer case skid. I agree with moderator, just get an oil pan skid as necessary- the rest are luxuries.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

added the engine transmission skid plate from

skidrowoffroad.com

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 12-01-2010 at 05:09 AM. Reason: REMOVED NON SPONSOR HYPERLINK. - SEE FAQ'S
Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

The only skids I have added are the Rancho Oil Pan Skid and the Poison Spyder Evap Skid.

The Evap Skid has already paid for itself as there are scratches on it......some people relocate....I chose to skid it up!

Quick Reply: What type of Skid Plates?