Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What tire size should I run?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tire size should I run?

So what size tires are you guys running with a 2.5" BB? I heard 35's will clear but can rub.

Where do they rub and would trimming the plastic fender get rid of it?

I will be adding a 2.5" BB to my Rubicon Unlimited in the near future and want to run 35's on the stock rims with 1.5" spacers but heard some people don't recommend it if your doing a lot of rock crawling.

What do you think?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just upgraded to 35s on a 2.5" coil spacer lift and wheel spacers. trimmed my rock sliders 2", hammered the pinch weld in the back. didn't "have to" cut the flares, but i wanted to anyway..

Runs well with the 6spd
Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hansen65
...I heard 35's will clear but can rub...
I occasionally rub a quarter/half turn of my rear tires on the plastic part of the rock rails. Not enough to worry about.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
I just upgraded to 35s on a 2.5" coil spacer lift and wheel spacers. trimmed my rock sliders 2", hammered the pinch weld in the back. didn't "have to" cut the flares, but i wanted to anyway..

Runs well with the 6spd
Did you have to trim the back, front or both ends of the rock sliders? Looks good, do you ever flex it out to max travel on the trails? Are you rub free?

Edit - Looks really nice by the way.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have to trim the back, front or both ends of the rock sliders? Looks good, do you ever flex it out to max travel on the trails? Are you rub free?

Edit - Looks really nice by the way.
Just the back 2" off the sliders

Flexed it a little bit..I've yet to rub anything, anywhere as mine sits. I haven't fully flexed the rear, it MAY contact the rear pinch weld when it is hammered, however it takes a lot of articulation to get that back end wrapped up. It's decently more firm than the front. I also believe the stock air dam may need to be trimmed. Mine has already been hacked down, so i cannot confirm that. Btw i have stock bump stops all around.

Same rock, rear tire on it

Same everything, just stock fenders. you can see with a little more turn, I'd rub the flare.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joe002
I occasionally rub a quarter/half turn of my rear tires on the plastic part of the rock rails. Not enough to worry about.
I am not quite sure what you mean. The tire rubs for a quarter to half a revolution when flexed maybe? Thats not too bad.

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Just the back 2" off the sliders

Flexed it a little bit..I've yet to rub anything, anywhere as mine sits. I haven't fully flexed the rear, it MAY contact the rear pinch weld when it is hammered, however it takes a lot of articulation to get that back end wrapped up. It's decently more firm than the front. I also believe the stock air dam may need to be trimmed. Mine has already been hacked down, so i cannot confirm that. Btw i have stock bump stops all around.
Your setup looks really nice. I wanted to trim the fenders anyway so I think this is the way to go.

Are you running the 1.5" wheel spacers?

Do you have any pictures showing how much you trimmed off the rock rail or how much you had to hammer the pinch weld?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I am not quite sure what you mean. The tire rubs for a quarter to half a revolution when flexed maybe? Thats not too bad...
Right, that's when it occasionally rubs, and I agree it's not too bad so I haven't made any modifications to stop it yet.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

So if I run 35's on my stock Rubicon Dana 44's do I need to do any mods to my axles or will they hold up as is on the trail?

What are the weak links in the jeep running 35's?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your Rubicon's drivetrain will be fine with 35s.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

Doesn't rub with my 2.5 Teraflex BB... but I added xenon flairs!

Love it!

Quick Reply: What tire size should I run?